Norton basketball coach out

During time reserved for guests at the Norton Board of Education, six individuals spoke about their dissatisfaction not to renew boys basketball coach, Rodney Swartz’s, contract for the 2017-2018 season after 25 years.

In an odd twist, he will still be coaching baseball.

Read more on this story, including details of an anonymous letter containing pictures of a student, coach house party posted on Facebook, in the next edition.

1. Anonymous on April 22, 2017 at 8:37 am

If there was no underage drinking/drugs/etc who cares if coach threw his team a party!? It’s normal for a coach to throw their team a party. Sounds like this situation was taken incredibly too far, unless I’m missing something here. Which given the fact that the contents of the photos and letter were not detailed in this article, I very well may be missing something.

2. G on April 22, 2017 at 7:00 am

I know nothing about the alleged scandal , I do know that I’ve never heard anything good about the individual in the alleged scandal and the rep was ruined a long time ago , baseball program is laughable and yes I have a ” horse in the race”, just facts

3. Anonymous on April 22, 2017 at 6:36 am

Both baseball and basketball programs are a joke , need a change regardless of the “scandal”

4. Anonymous on April 22, 2017 at 6:31 am

Baseball coach?

5. Sporty on April 20, 2017 at 11:12 am

If a legit picture along with some sort of alleged house party shows even the slightest suspect activity, how could anyone associated with the school or minor children not want some sort of investigation? Sorry coach fans 🙁
    It is however, unacceptable to use an anonymous black & white letter as any kind of credible info source, Herald should tread lightly. The name of the coach should have been withheld and every accusation up to this point should be referred to as “alleged”. Sounds like the school should conduct some fact finding while the Norton “reality show” machine continues to roll !

6. Anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm

This sounds like a ridiculous scandal. I don’t see any proof that would blame the coach.

7. J.D. Pierson on April 19, 2017 at 6:05 pm

Do we expect anything less from this classless newspaper?? I mean it’s the Barberton Herald… Im sure they need all the sales and click bait they can get no matter how they get it… PATHETIC

8. Crystal Linger on April 19, 2017 at 4:27 pm

This is absolutely ridiculous shame on you for ruining a coaches reputation like this!!!!

• Anonymous on April 21, 2017 at 7:31 am

He ruined his rep a long time ago

9. Julie on April 19, 2017 at 3:53 pm

Look at all the anonymous people hiding behind their computers and posting their opinions about an anonymous letter.

10. Jennifer on April 19, 2017 at 2:24 pm

When did the Herald turn into The National Enquirer? If you’re reporting news thats going on the community great! The article about Coach Swartz however, research your facts. Don’t print a bunch of he said/she said from an anonymous sender. Absolutely ridiculous!!!

11. Anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 1:15 pm

When I first heard of the news that coach Swartz wouldn’t be returning next year I was a little shocked but thought maybe it was because he was retiring and planning to spend more time with his son who is graduating. When I was told it was a decision made by school officials I expected someone to release more on this story. Now that I’ve read some of the events surrounding this story all I can do is shake my head. I have a son who is involved in the basketball organization and has at 1 time or another had contact with all of the coaches throughout the different levels. I have no issue with Coach Swartz and have no issue with him continuing to coach if he wants to. The problem I have is all these parents who are standing here pointing fingers at other parents or name calling whether it be at other adults or students. I thought as Norton we were better than that. Do you have the right to be upset, have an opinion and voice it…yes. But to have a parent feel that their child was treated unfairly voice there issues then be allegedly threatened by other teammates parents is beyond wrong. It makes me ashamed, embarrassed and furious to think that’s the kind of people that my own son could be exposed to as part of the higher levels of the norton basketball program. This is America and I thought there was to be equality, freedom of speech and press and the right to have your own opinions. All these people that are pointing fingers at the parent(s) who felt they had concerns regarding their child are going against all these things. You’re now the ones who are being bullies and what is that teaching our boys, nothing other than if you don’t like someone just force them out. I know there’s favoritism played, it happens everywhere, in every sport but that doesn’t make it ok. If someone is injured or doesn’t participate in tryouts they shouldn’t make the team or immediately return without practicing as other boys who miss are expected to sit out and miss games. As a community if you support coach Swartz be there to support him either way but not to bully or point fingers and try and run people out of town, that’s not who Norton is. We are not the judge or the jury, those positions are for school officials and board members. This is ultimately their decision in the end and should be left as such. Bullying, threatening, pointing fingers or saying you won’t vote for a levy renewal or you’re gonna move schools or whatever isn’t going to make them change their mind. They have their own jobs and responsibilities to uphold. Just as our jobs as parents is to teach our children right and wrong but the way some parents are behaving is not doing anything but providing a wrong example. Again I have no issue with Coach Swartz but if the board or whoever believes he was in the wrong or don’t want to renew him as basketball coach that’s their decision not mine. Be thankful for the time he’s gotten and lives he’s impacted and will continue to in baseball and allow him to pass the baton on to the next person to continue building a great basketball program from youth on upward because if your child truly enjoys the sport or sports they play who coaches it shouldn’t determine whether they play or not. Thats only punishing a child who enjoys what they do and teaching them entitlement by only playing for a coach a spot on a team before they even try out. Positions should be given based on skills and effort not names or who your brothers, sisters or parents are. To do so would be unethical as a coach and not teaching our kids anything, that is an example of entitlement by handing someone something they never had to work to get.

12. anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 11:44 am

Wow,I can’t believe this had to be published because of one loud mouth mother.I feel like I’m watching CNN news, anything for a story no matter how bad it hurts anyone.

13. Stefan scheibelhoffer on April 19, 2017 at 11:26 am

Being a life long resident of the city of Norton and having worked in the media having both a BA and Masters in both, the first thing we are taught is to credit your sources. If it’s anonymous it doesn’t exist. Even if it was a fatal car accident credit the police for getting you the info, if a murder, get the names who gave you the information. Everything has a source. You get in a whole lot of trouble as a media member assuming without crediting.

I like coach Swartz. I have a lot of respect because of discipline etc. as a sign said discipline, accountability does not equal bullying. If you want him fired, use facts and don’t use falsehoods. I truly believe the reason there are falsehoods are that there are no facts.

If you look at the alleged pictures there are no players or coaches in it. I respectfully ask the herald to use facts and credit the source who gave you the information.

14. Anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 9:05 am

Shame on the Herald, putting a person’s reputation and career at risk by publishing “rumors” and pictures from an anonymous source. Someone might want to look into who is running things over there.

15. Anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 8:42 am

Shame of the Barberton Herald! Who is allowing such things to be published? Mixing facts from a school board meeting with “rumors” from and anonymous source in the same article? I think someone over there needs to do there job and do some research before they ruin someones reputation.

16. Chelsea on April 18, 2017 at 10:05 pm

This is probably the most poorly written article I have ever read… way to feed into the “fake news” trend.

17. Angelica Scianna on April 18, 2017 at 9:33 pm

absolutely ridiculous and appalling! If any of you know Coach Swartz you know he doesn’t drink beer!!!! These people need to stop! Trying anything to destroy this man!

18. Anonymous on April 18, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I think this accusation is ridiculous.

19. Rick Querry on April 18, 2017 at 8:53 pm

It amazes me how people will start rumors and belittle people to get what they want.

20. JENNIFER fair on April 18, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Coach Swartz has been nothing less but exceptional in training young athletes. I disagree with the criticism. I hope the board will look into the record he has kept and the testimonies of the athletes he has coached through the years and the truth will rise from this all.

21. Anonymous on April 18, 2017 at 8:41 pm

This is stupid and outrageous. Any one can take a picture off of the internet and make some dumb allegations. Even if it was him whys it matter what goes on in his personal life? He’s a great coach.

22. Anonymous on April 18, 2017 at 4:43 pm

This is the most ridiculous allegations I have ever heard about these people involved ! Where is the proof? How could things like this be published with just a say so from someone?? Were there interviews of people who were at the party or just going by what “someone” claims to have happened that probably wasn’t even there in the first place , and what does a picture of someone in a horsemask and someone with their face blurred out mean or prove..??? Wow must be desperate for some news in Barberton ..

• anonymous on April 19, 2017 at 11:51 am

From what I heard,it came from a mother that thought her kid played better than what they were saying,so she made her coward self anonymous,if that was my kid and I thought they were wrong,I wouldn’t hide my name,but if lies were told about this party,then that explains,and where is the proof,doesn’t anything have to be proved anymore,you can be vendictive and throw innocent people under the bus?

23. Amie houpt on April 18, 2017 at 4:08 pm

You guys need to get your facts straight before posting or publishing ridiculous accusations. I was there when this picture of 2 adults were taken. There was absolutely NO students or underage drinking going on at this gathering.. The person slandering Rod Swartz and his family needs actual evidence before submitting stupid innocent pictures and making up stories. That picture proves nothing and shows no wrong doing.