Gun brought to Norton High School

Unloaded handgun found at Norton High School

At about 11:45 a.m. Friday, the Norton Police Department was notified by Norton School Administration that a student may be in possession of a gun.

The principal of the high school, Ryan Shanor, immediately isolated the students in question and the firearm was located. Three students were taken into custody and removed from the school.

The school administration and the police department believe that this is an isolated incident. Any threat of danger was terminated when the gun was found.

Three students were taken into custody and removed from the school.

A fourth student has been arrested. All were charged with Illegal conveyance or possession of a deadly weapon in a school zone which is a felony. The students were taken to the Summit County Juvenile Detention Center.

“Our school district is committed to the safety of all of our students.  And I always want to clearly communicate with parents about safety issues when they arise,” Addis stated.

Jason Sams, School Board President, relayed his appreciation for the school administration team and the Norton Police Department for their quick and professional response. Adding that, “Such a swift response resulted in a safe outcome for our district.”

Read more about this incident in the next edition of the Herald.

#nortonschools

#nortoncops

1. Anonymous on September 10, 2017 at 8:37 am

How is more than ONE person charged with possession of ONE firearm!? Simply because they knew about it!!?

2. Anon on September 7, 2017 at 5:07 am

I’m sure the real story isn’t as juicy as the herald would want you to think, all sensationalism but go ahead and ruin the kids lives.

Good job!

3. Dennis murphy on September 6, 2017 at 7:16 pm

Well the truth is they didn’t bring it to school todo any harm to anyone but if the nod has to make it sound like they did something great The boys told on themselves And 1 of themis my cousin he didn’t even know about th gun it was in a gym bag And he handed the bag to another is Ow a14 Ye old boy that’s always be a great student and child is I Dan st and they will try to ruin his life over a gun charge. Well I think I would have to have handled a gun not a gym ba his buddy asked him To hand thatgym bag to his other buddy it could happen to anyone’s kids

4. Mick The Maag on September 6, 2017 at 7:05 pm

caning during a football game would be perfect punishment.. !!

5. Anonymous on September 2, 2017 at 1:06 am

Last week ,Barberton tires were slashed on Barberton buses,,now this!!??

• Mick The Maag on September 6, 2017 at 7:06 pm

punks need to be dealt with harshly.. dang it.. who do these punks think they are.. GRrrrr rr r r

• Rmonroe on September 7, 2017 at 11:19 pm

Turns out that no tires were slashed. Damage was en route.

6. Beth Dillon on September 1, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Shanor is a rock star.

7. Anonymous on September 1, 2017 at 7:46 pm

How times have changed. Where did they get the gun? Wth are kids thinking? If i touched my fathers guns he would of beat me. I talked back to my mother once and he put the fear of God into me. Thats all it took to not get in trouble.