Council votes no on medical marijuana

Barberton City Council voted against adding a chapter about medical marijuana entities into the development code.

The legislation did not pass with four no and two yes votes. For more on the proposed medical marijuana legislation, pick up the next issue of The Barberton Herald.

1. Glenda on December 15, 2017 at 10:35 pm

I say No..due to it will be out on streets just like the rest of the drugs..that sciencest thought wouldn’t..the kids and young adults are dying ..the drug dealers and the sellers have street smarts they know how to get it just like the other drugs..

2. Glenda on December 15, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I vote no..due to the FACT that it is already been on the streets..( Mj ) for yrs..it will be just like all the other drugs out on the streets to sale..these people that sales these drugs ..have street smarts and know how to get..None of the sciencest that invented all these drugs that are killing our young kids and adults would get out on the streets to be sold like they are now..I lived with a pothead for yrs and I know what it does to ur mind and body….I think it’s nonsense..

• Glenda on December 15, 2017 at 10:39 pm

I live in a small town in TN and we have already too many ODs just in a yr 8 or more..

3. Anonymous on December 5, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Horrible decision…

4. Easy Rider on December 4, 2017 at 2:23 pm

The weed was not going to be for sale to the public for goodness sakes! This was not going to be like bath salts down at the mini mart. Looks like we lost some jobs and what could have been a nice biz tax base for the city financial coffers. Not well thought out but that is the Barberton way.

5. Concerned on December 1, 2017 at 2:45 am

I have no clue why they would not release it to pain management clinics!
    Recteational use I am against due to substance abuse, however right now I am on opiates for pain (legalized herion), and my pain management doctor urine tests me and can do a pill count at any time. So I think with their type supervision and guidlines it would have to be better. Iam a chronic pain sufferer looking for another avenue. I am the guy against all drugs until I got really sick. By the way the thc would be eliminated, no high just pain relief.

6. Gary C Durieux on November 29, 2017 at 5:44 pm

With all the overdose from the opioid epidemic you would think that this is an alternative to at least some that need pain relief,there have been so many overdoses in Barberton so I believe they need to rethink and apply all avenues of this crisis situation.

7. paul on November 29, 2017 at 4:16 pm

say NO to drugs get a job.

• Pat on November 29, 2017 at 6:06 pm

It’s not about saying no to drugs and getting a job. Huge amounts of jobs could be created by this it’s opens the doors for employment such as Security jobs, grower positions for people like me who are master certified through the state, plus the numerous labor positions that would be required to to day to day operations plus not to mention the jobs from building these.

• Brett on December 2, 2017 at 1:14 am

This would have created jobs. Get an education before posting. Do us all a favor.

8. Ray on November 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Far out.

9. Resident on November 29, 2017 at 7:01 am

This should be a city wide vote, not just up to city council. Marijuana lessened my pain from chemotherapy and reduced my usage of Percocet drastically. I’m proud to say that i walked away from a potential pain pill habit due thanks to marijuana.

10. Jan Akers on November 29, 2017 at 6:56 am

Short sited decision, the growing and dispensing of Medical marijuana would bring a few jobs here. It would give people a reason to come to Barberton. The number one reason is there are ill people that the use of marijuana is the only choice left! People need to look passed what they think it is,it will be treated like any other medicine, regulated and A prescription will be needed!

11. Anonymous on November 29, 2017 at 6:49 am

Barberton could do a grow site where summa hospital is for now, since it seems the hospital will be closed soon enough

12. Anonymous on November 28, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I agree with all the comments. Horrible decision…

13. Anonymous on November 28, 2017 at 8:45 pm

It’s a now . Because they won’t never again be able to walk up and say the smell marijuana and use it for permission to search . Also it could possibly slowdown the use of pills overdoses and suicides . It would ask mean they would have to crack down on other crimes like crack heroin meth and coke. It’s a crooked world we live in And ran by crooks.

14. Anonymous on November 28, 2017 at 12:28 pm

LOl

15. Anonymous on November 28, 2017 at 5:59 am

Sad

16. SPD on November 28, 2017 at 4:54 am

Terrible decision

17. Mark on November 27, 2017 at 10:01 pm

So, although we’ve seen it bring in outrageous revenue in states that have legalized it, let’s keep it out of our city that is probably primarily poverty-ridden. I’d love to know the reasoning behind that decision.

• Anonymous on November 27, 2017 at 10:06 pm