UPDATED with 911 audio: 3 shot on Sylvester Street, suspect arrested

UPDATE

An 18-year-old Akron man has been arrested in connection with the Jan. 20 shooting of three people in the Sylvester Street parking lot of the Discovericlub daycare on Wooster Road N.

Quawlin Mabry, of Ogle Terrace in Akron, was arrested this morning by Barberton Police detectives and the U.S. Marshals Northeast Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force. He was taken to the Barberton City Jail and was arraigned in Barberton Municipal Court Jan. 22 at 1 p.m.

UPDATE: No suspects have been taken into custody. Any further information will be published in the Thursday, Jan. 25 issue of The Barberton Herald.

Barberton Police are investigating the shootings about 9 p.m. of three people in the Sylvester Street parking lot of the Discovericlub on Wooster Road North. The victims were taken to hospitals. Their conditions or identities are not being released by police. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

911 audio from police and fire dispatch. Edited to remove names and phone numbers. CAUTION for strong language.

1. Anonymous on January 26, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Hi and

• Spiro on January 28, 2018 at 9:16 am

Sometimes it appears that we’re reaching a period when our senses and our minds will no longer respond to moderate stimulation.We seem to be reaching an “age of the gross”.Persuasion through speeches and books is too often discarded for disruptive demonstrations aimed at bludgeoning the unconvinced into action.The young-and by this I don’t mean by any stretch of the imagination all the young,but I’m talking about those who claim to speak for the young-at the zenith of physical power and sensitivity overwhelm themselves with drugs and artificial stimulants.Subtlety is lost and fine distinctions based on acute reasoning are carelessly ignored in a headlong jump to a predetermined conclusion.Life is visceral rather than intellectual and the most visceral practitioners of life are those who characterize themselves as intellectuals.Truth to them is revealed rather than logically proved and the principal infatuations of today revolve around the social sciences-those subjects which can accommodate any opinion and about which the most reckless conjecture cannot be discredited.The student now goes to college to proclaim rather than to learn.The lessons of the past are ignored and obliterated in a contemporary antagonism known as “the generation gap”.A spirit of national masochism prevails encouraged by an effete core of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as intellectuals.

2. Anonymous on January 26, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Hi

3. Patricia Carpenter on January 24, 2018 at 11:55 am

This is all sad prayers to family members of victims and family of shooter ive been through this its difficult my family didnt live weather over drugs or girl or anything it makes no sense people are getting murdered just sitting on thier porch or walking down the street its sad

4. Unknown on January 23, 2018 at 4:07 pm

Y’all dont know him or what happened so it’s best to shut up . He’s not a bad kid at all actually so it was a reason. Mind your business 💯🗣

• edbassmaster on January 24, 2018 at 1:27 am

Pshhhhh.

• Obamas purple lips on January 24, 2018 at 11:50 am

Yeah and I’m the Pope.It’s all of Barberton’s business!! Fool!!!

• Anonymous on February 9, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Now be nice, we don’t want his friends who I’m sure are also “not bad kids at all” coming to “talk it out” and bring a gun and start shootin is all up…

• DJ on January 25, 2018 at 10:08 am

So you are telling me it is OKay to shoot someone over a girl? I think I will just go shoot my ex’s new girlfriend. I hope the shooter gets some serious time AND anger management.

• Good Ole Boy on January 25, 2018 at 10:36 am

One of these Akron tuff guys is going to come across an ole hillbilly from Barberton and it might end in a good ole fashioned shootout.

• Shooting witness on January 27, 2018 at 9:23 pm

I saw this happen first hand. In my opinion it was self defense. When 4-5 grown men attack a skinny 18 year old kid he wasn’t left with many options. Wish he wouldn’t have fire a gun so close to my house, but in his place I would have probably done the same. They were threatening him and ran across the street to attack him. People shouldn’t be so quick to judge.

• Obamas purple lips on January 28, 2018 at 8:03 am

I didn’t know they drove to his house with a gun.seems like intent.

• Shooting witness on January 28, 2018 at 9:47 am

This didn’t happen at either parties house. Did you even read the article? Or just jumping to conclusions?

• Obamas purple lips on January 28, 2018 at 10:04 am

I’m still coming up with intent regardless.

• Shotgunsurviver on March 6, 2018 at 1:54 am

First off…. A girl come banginh on my door asking for help cause a guy was getting ready to start a gun fight. It was 1 other couple. The guy was 48 his wife 43. And then my husband and i. He is 23. Im 27. The lady didnt even get in the middle of anything. It was just the two guys and then me. I didnt even hear that it wad a gun fight. By the time i got out there with the bat he shot us. We didnt even touch him.

• Anonymous on October 1, 2018 at 12:02 pm

you lieing thats my brother n he not a bad kid u had to do something to him to make him shoot u cuz he never shoot to kill some one my brother know better

• Witness to impotence on January 30, 2018 at 4:32 pm

Do we really need to know an 18 yr old with a gun? And why would I shut up? Why does my opinion not deserve to served up next to yours or anyone else’s. Y’all need to understand a social medium when Y’all see one. Take a moment and help us understand the reason for shooting them there people.

• Obamas purple lips on January 31, 2018 at 7:50 am

A few years back,while walking into the convenient store on 5th by circle k there was a kid walking into the store ahead of me.He swung the door open and stepped to the side to allow me in first.I said thank you buddy and made a mental note of how rare that is nowadays in kids his age.A week later I was reading about the murders on the east side when I saw his picture.I felt the same way I do now writing this.Fighting back tears.Then rage.How dare these low life scumbags take that little kid and his family’s life! He was such a quiet,polite kid.I never got the chance to repay the favor and hold the door for him.Absolutely ridiculous! I’ll never forget that.

• Anonymous on February 9, 2018 at 7:44 pm

We’ll see how good of a kid he is now that he’s in the system

5. Anonymous on January 22, 2018 at 6:06 pm

Just heard on the news that this shooting wasn’t about drugs. That’s the good news. Bad news is that it was because of a girl!!!! Guess I ‘m too old for the logic….pull out a gun because my ex is with someone else?!! No one that I know would ever do that for the sake of a woman!! Hope she feels special now.

6. crAKRON on January 22, 2018 at 3:39 pm

The last few shootings in Barberton were all done by thugs from Akron. Get these bums out of here.

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 3:44 pm

Here here

7. Anonymous on January 22, 2018 at 2:36 pm

Classic realization of what barberton has become

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 2:56 pm

Easy prey for Akron trash?

• Youhavetobekidding on January 25, 2018 at 9:42 am

Akron trash walking across the line into Barberton.

• You know on January 26, 2018 at 12:54 pm

Oh please, there’s been trash in Barberton for as long as I can remember 😂

• Obamas purple lips on January 28, 2018 at 9:54 am

Thanks Sherlock!! My emoji- Arabian Goggles!!

8. Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Good to hear everyone is alive! 3 laughing girls need to go right along with that piece of trash.

9. Anonymous on January 22, 2018 at 10:41 am

Shoot them all.

• Marissa on January 22, 2018 at 2:33 pm

Pretty sad that this is what our generation is coming to. & for some girls to laugh about it makes me furious. So sorry for your family, praying for the best.

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 3:43 pm

The age of the gross-1970 Spiro Agnew speech.check it out.youtube.

10. Angela Lemley on January 22, 2018 at 6:57 am

Allow the Light of Jesus Christ open ur hearts.
    These negative comments are not helping those families that are suffering these tragedies.
    If u cannot Gelp the Situation, Pray for ur. Pray for All of us, before we all are eaten by Our Own Personal Demons!!
    U Reap what u Sow, but if U r spreading Hate, Hate will cone back 10 fold!!
    I am not perfect.
    I try hard everyday to be better than I was yesterday, ho throw some stones at a mirror, and allow God to save ur shattered Mind, ur broken Body, and Ur Torn Soul.
    God Bless Us, Every One…
    Amen.
    🙏🏽😌🤟🏼‼️
    🙌🏼❤️💙🙃
    🤞🏻😇✌🏽
    👉🏻🙏🏽‼️🤷🏽‍♀️

• Angela Lemley on January 22, 2018 at 6:59 am

Forgive the typos.
      My mind is faster than my fingers
      Lol
      🙆🏽‍♀️🙇🏽‍♀️🙇🏾‍♂️🤷🏽‍♀️🙄

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:34 pm

What if god doesn’t care?

11. Someone on January 21, 2018 at 10:31 pm

It was a drug shooting

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:35 pm

Wrong.

12. Someone on January 21, 2018 at 1:45 pm

The guy person whofired the shots probably was defending themselves

• Anonymous on January 21, 2018 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, I bet you are right

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:39 pm

Wrong again.

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:37 pm

Wrong again.

• You know on January 26, 2018 at 12:55 pm

So we’re supposed to take your word for it? 😂 No

• Obamas purple lips on January 28, 2018 at 9:47 am

Did that poor skinny boy drive to his ex girlfriends with a gun? Why yes he did!!! See I too can answer my own questions.I don’t do emoji so I’ll use words- Roman Helmet!

• shooters brother on October 1, 2018 at 12:05 pm

he did

13. Anonymous on January 21, 2018 at 8:30 am

Couple of things to consider before commenting.
    – how do you know it was drug related
    – do we know they were from Barberton

• April D. on January 21, 2018 at 10:46 am

We don’t but usually are involved anymore

• Anonymous on January 21, 2018 at 10:54 am

You’re right, I’m sure they were all just minding their own business and in the wrong place at the wrong time…

• Tammie on January 23, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Actually we were thank you

14. April D. on January 21, 2018 at 7:59 am

OMG, things are getting so bad all over, these drugs are taking over people’s lives.

• Obamas purple lips on January 21, 2018 at 9:43 am

Only the weak minded April.Sooo glad you guys got out of there!

15. Anonymous on January 21, 2018 at 6:30 am

Bartberton’s finest!!

• Obamas purple lips on January 21, 2018 at 9:39 am

Maybe Crackron AGAIN? We’ll see.

• WILDCHILD 3/18/9/16 on January 22, 2018 at 10:48 am

That’s what’s wrong with ppl now always what to speak on stuff that they know nothing about that’s where the problem comes in at

• Cringe Worthy on January 22, 2018 at 3:47 pm

That and poor language skills.

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 4:12 pm

But momma says I gotta good brain.

• Youhavetobekidding on January 25, 2018 at 9:43 am

The actual problem would be someone shooting someone else… if you think news comments are worse than that, look in the mirror, you’re the problem.

• Obamas purple lips on January 22, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Look who was right on track.^ We could use a wall on the Akron borders.

• You know on January 26, 2018 at 12:58 pm

But trash like you still seems to get in 🤔

• Obamas purple lips on January 26, 2018 at 5:52 pm

What kinda bird don’t fly?? A jailbird!!!