Alcohol sale to minor claimed, manager denies wrongdoing

UPDATED from print edition

Rich Muller, Herald Staff Writer

A 16-year-old girl who admitted to police she drank alcohol in The Garage Bar at the Fast Lane bowling alley in Barberton Feb. 23 has resulted in the manager and a bartender being charged as well as the girl.

The 16-year-old told police she was never asked for an ID. Someone in the bar called police because they thought the girl was too young to be drinking.

According to police and court records, Todd Cleavenger, 41, of Akron, was charged with knowingly allowing an underage person to consume an intoxicating liquor in his establishment. A pre-trial appearance is scheduled for Thursday, April 8, in Barberton Municipal Court.

Lisa Charnuk, 34, of Rittman, was cited for knowingly selling beer or intoxicating liquor to a minor. Her case is set for arraignment for Wednesday, March 15.

“I never personally served her any alcohol,” Cleavenger told the Herald about the girl. “I don’t know why I’m even being charged.”

Cleavenger said he understands the girl has a fake ID acknowledged she did not have it with her Feb. 23.

“It will all come out when we go to court,” he stated. “I know I’m innocent.”

1. Anonymous on March 17, 2018 at 6:41 am

I go here weekly. I see them card people every time i am there. Seen bartender refuse to serve people without IDs. This place always has entertainment and things to do. Todd busts his ass working all over the place.

Lotta people here “hear” things but never even been there. Its a good clean place.

2. Nope on March 16, 2018 at 12:53 pm

I heard he beat one of his bartenders in his office because she wouldnt do his bidding “sexually” and Its public record! And was at another establishment in the area one night and a distraught guy came in stating there was minors at the garage dump and the manager Todd had them in back with others while a drag queen show was going on. He did call the police but nothing seemed to have happend!

3. Don g on March 10, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I love this bar

4. Anonymous girl on March 10, 2018 at 10:21 am

This place just needs to be shut; down it is brought our town down in trouble in. They do smoke in there, I even have a video of it. They also have a lot of people employees as while going drugs in there. This place is so dirty I wouldn’t even let my dog eat there . The manager Todd is a real piece of_____! He doesn’t take care of his employees and make them work for almost nothing even on holidays just so it will line his pockets.

5. Some guy that goes here well used to.. on March 10, 2018 at 9:39 am

They been serving underage especially the servers who come in from Angie’s. The manager busted them once and didn’t do anything. I’m not gonna mention names but I’m sure some people know who

6. `SAM on March 10, 2018 at 9:23 am

He’s not the only Bar, Grill, Carry-out, Pub, Strip bar, etc. is doing this. They are all over the place, and don’t leave out Akron. You bring this up to the city, and all they do is talk about it and takes notes, and then “NEXT”. if everybody would keep posting these kind of problems, and put it in the public eye then maybe something will be done. No one wants to be put in the public eye you sit out like a sore-thumb. If you know something say something. It’s not like it was 10-20 yrs. ago when all you had was a word of mouth and a telephone. It use to be a time you could call ABJ and report problems, now you can’t rely on them. With all this new gaggets, iphone, camera, gps, laptops, etc. there should be more done in your city but talk. Look at the poor streets, potholes everywhere you look. Take a pic. post it on facebook, myplace, etc. and see what happens.

7. Alex Hammonds on March 10, 2018 at 7:38 am

When he has shows on Sunday with drag queens, I know for a fact, from being there he has served as well as bartenders have served minors as well had kids under 16 in the bar after midnight, as one of his male entertainers that night brought his 12yr old daughter. Ohio law states a minor who is 16 may accompany the parent but can not be in a establishment after 12, and there is a sign on the door of the bar that states 21 and over only in bar.

8. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 9:50 pm

We recently had a child birthday party there and they had workers inside the building smoking and also people in the bar.

9. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 8:14 pm

I’ve been told that place also puts drugs in ladies drinks. I know some girls that have said the same. Teens know they can be served here.

• Anonymous Girl on March 9, 2018 at 9:36 pm

Yes GHB liquid and he himself slips it in the drink or he has one of his bartenders do it and he prays on recently divorced women that come into his bar and he even goes as far as having the bartenders bring their friends in so he can pray on them as well….

10. Dealing with what should be a reality of how it should be on March 9, 2018 at 6:42 pm

It take a village to raise a child. Yes parents are responsible for the things their children do to a point. When they are not around you try to rely on others in your community to make sure they are ok and nothing harmful happens to them. A thing i think some in this community or who visit have forgotten. Maybe its just a way that no longer exists and should.

11. Come on are people really that stupid on March 9, 2018 at 6:22 pm

What right is right and whats wrong is wrong people. It doesn’t matter how you word it. Owner is responsible reguardless of who sold it. Its his responsibility to make sure his employees are trained and know the laws and make sure they follow them. Drug addict/ alcoholic bar tenders aren’t going to do that for you. If he thinks not then he shouldn’t be running the bussiness then. As a responsible bar owner first and for most should be the safety and concern of those who enter his establishment. Just another disgraceful place to add to the bars in Barberton. All about the money who cares what happens or who it effects.

12. Public needs to think about all this on March 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm

While everyone is sticking up for this man. You need to step back and think if this was your daughter. I for one would not stand for it. It was stated he touched this girl and she is in coumceling for it. One you don’t serve teenagers alcohol and 2 Whats suppose to be a grown ass man shouldn’t be messing with a teenager either. As far as the smoking he’s not the only bar in barberton that does that. Bar shannon does too. Hell they all have sketchy stuff going on. But this if found to be true is dispicaple as all get out. People really do need to stop and think about the youth in the area. Barberton kids have a hard enough time doing right they don’t need adults showing them the wrong bath too.

13. Anonymous on March 9, 2018 at 2:09 pm

He lies to cover up lies. Anything that goes wrong is never his fault. He treats everyone badly. Doesn’t maintain his properties.

14. The King of the Weather on March 9, 2018 at 11:53 am

My advice is that if a lot of you posting here have some dirt then it would be wise to give that to authorities or the media and take it from there. Based on things I’m hearing, it seems like this place could be shut down.

• Anonymous Girl on March 9, 2018 at 2:36 pm

See I’ve tried telling the media and cops and they all look at me like im mad because he let me go that’s not the case I could careless if he let me go or not it’s not about that it’s about the fact of what he does in that bar and how he lies to cover everything up makes everyone think your the bad guy in all reality what he is doing in that bar needs to stop and quickly

• Chris on March 10, 2018 at 9:45 pm

I agree completely. I see everyone commenting, but not doing anything about it. Makes others just as guilty. Just because they didn’t do it personally, they still witnessed it and did nothing to stop it

15. Anonymous Girl on March 9, 2018 at 6:34 am

He is not as innocent as everyone thinks trust me when I say that….. I just hope that the cops look into this bar and the workers a little deeper and get rid of it altogether

16. Anonymous Girl on March 9, 2018 at 6:29 am

Ok so I worked at this bar almost a year ago as a bartender for Mr. Todd and this is the exact reason he let me go after 2 months because I would not sell minors alcohol for him as he did know they were under age and it was 230am and he personally brought them to the bar I tried to warn people then and no one listened said I was angry because he let me go

17. CHRISTY on March 9, 2018 at 1:28 am

professional con artist. Has criminal record in multiple states and now he is in ohio doing same things he has done in other states. I have warned authorities hopefully someone does something. Google his name. You will be very upset he is in your city. Ohio Pa Texas Kansas Colorado. I was horrified when I found out he was in ohio CEO and managing member of an investments company… Have known Mr. Cleavenger since 1995 when he first started his fraudulent activities. a.k.a Fraud Cleavenger

• JD on March 9, 2018 at 4:34 am

You have only known him since 1995??

Arent you the Christy that has kept his son from him against the Judges order and been found guilty of contempt?? Is this REALLYYYY the same girl???

• CHRISTY on March 9, 2018 at 6:14 am

That is also public record. Along with all other criminal activities. My advice is before you get into business with this person understand that he is a con artist.

• Truth Troll on March 9, 2018 at 7:23 am

Contempt charges are all his not hers, genius. And the only person keeping the kid away is him since he refuses to care for him at all.

• WRONG on March 17, 2018 at 6:44 am

its public record. She keeps his son from him. Look it up. Shes being charged again right now too again actually. No wonder why shes mad!!! lol

• ananymous on March 10, 2018 at 6:37 am

Shut it down already.The guy also serves watered down liquor.Sneaky cat.

18. Alvin York on March 8, 2018 at 10:50 pm

that place is dirty and disgusting….
    Went in a few times its close to home.. young girls on a strip pole or in underwear on a big swinging rope… and drinking with the owner grinding on them.. cigarette smoking at the bar.. even the bowling alley side is dirty.. restrooms non functioning and lanes dont work….. i can see this happen there

19. Mary Lou Sohn on March 8, 2018 at 5:38 pm

So Mr. Cleavenger, presumably the owner?, is unaware that the owner of any business — Macy’s, Circle K, the Garage Bar– is ultimately entirely responsible for everything that happens at that business. And he doesn’t know why he’s being charged? How clueless can you be?