The Brotsman Livery and the city’s jail were on the corner of Third Street and what is now Wooster Road West.
Local History Librarian
When Barberton was founded in 1891, a police department did not yet exist. In very early years, Patrick Duffy served as township constable. However, there was nowhere to house a prisoner at the time, so Duffy often resorted to strongly encouraging offenders to leave the area after he apprehended them. Once the village was formally incorporated, a town marshal was elected and charged with the responsibility of keeping law and order in Barberton. The job paid about $40 a month.
Read more in the Herald on newsstands now.