School levy defeated again

Issue 2, the Norton City School District’s 3.5 mill tax levy request for current expenses was narrowly defeated in the May 8 primary election, based on unofficial results from the Summit County Board of Elections,

With 16 of 16 precincts reporting the results showed 1,812 votes against the levy request and 1,500 for it.

The defeat sends the issue back to the administration and board of education for consideration on the next steps as it focuses on the district’s financial future.

Check back for additional election results.

For the news you need, pick up the Herald on newsstands now.

1. Edith Davis on May 10, 2018 at 3:24 pm

Really. The schools that were redone or built, was with FEDERAL Grants that require a community “in kind” contribution. Then before they expire, they become a ” use it or lose it” situation. That money can not be used for ANYTHING eles.
    So when Norton starts cutting buses goes to strictly, pay to play, then i guess you will open your purse straps. They are not asking for much, and the school does MORE for the students and families than any school district i am familar with. I have 6 kids, some of which, went to akron, massillon, springfield and the last finished at barberton. Trust and believe, i will do whatever i can to help them.
    I couldnt ask for a better school. I am proud to have my son graduate from Norton. I am so happy with the interventions they provide, yes some is federal and state mandates, they could of easily stopped there. They do not. They go above and beyond. Norton City Schools needs and deserves to have this levy passed. Its not as if they come every 6mths and ask for money.

• Bill on May 11, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Whats wrong with pay to play? Why should the majority of residence pay for the minority who have kids in the school system?

• Anonymous on May 16, 2018 at 8:10 am

When i got to college I was surprised at how little my friend from Norton actually learned. Its easy to think a school is perfect until you start comparing it with first hand knowledge from another school. I had to teach my friend basic math like multiplying and dividing fractions. Copley is just leagues ahead of Norton.

• EdAnonymous on May 17, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Edith you can open up your purse straps a little more and pay for my share. Schools always have to threaten the residents to get the money.

2. EdAnonymous on May 10, 2018 at 9:18 am

Build a fancy Stadium for what. Community can’t even use the track to work out. Didn’t we the community vote to pay for it. We should have use with it. Build a Fieldhouse for what. Get rid of two buildings, where is the money going. Next they will want a levy to build a new garage. Should have thought of that from the beginning. Filed house money for that building!

3. Pete on May 9, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Enough already, you’re tryyto bleed is dry!

4. paul on May 9, 2018 at 10:21 am

Good every year this comes up. a little here a little there equals A LOT.

5. on trees on May 9, 2018 at 8:25 am

The administration should just go pick some of the money off of the trees around town. The people are done paying for it.