Norton BOE cuts 27 jobs

Jim Eritano

Herald Staff Writer

Norton Board of Education members approved a reduction in the workforce by eliminating positions and reducing hours. The agreement between the Norton Board of Education and OASPE Local 167, was recommended by Superintendent Dana Addis. Employees at all four schools plus transportation will be affected.

Twenty-four Special Education Assistant I and nine Special Education Assistant II positions will become part-time.

Twelve Special Education Assistant I , two Special Education Assistant II, 13 Education Assistants and eight bus driver positions will be eliminated.

The job cuts and shortened hours take effect August 1, 2018, unless  affected employees bid or bump into another position at a meeting  scheduled July 23, 9 a.m.

Board members at the June 26, 8 a.m. meeting were President Jennifer Bennett, Pat Santelli, Chris Inks and Treasurer Stephanie Hagenbush.

1. Don't be Fooled on July 2, 2018 at 3:58 pm

These cuts are a temporary. It will be used as a scare tactic to pass a levy. Remember the great Barberton busing cut back about 6 years ago ? It sent everyone into panic mode and then some kid gets clipped by a car after school, presto!
    Instant levy approval. How about the teachers take a 5% cut on pension contributions? That would more than take care of reinstating these cut backs. PERS employee’s eat their own, they will not concede a dime to save their union brothers.

• EdAnonymous on July 5, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Coventry did the same thing by threatening. Don’t let them fool you. Stay strong against the levy.

2. Terrie Casenhiser on June 30, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Why are they cutting special education positions? Why cut assistance to the most vulnerable students? Why not spread out the cuts among all the students? Why choose one group that asssistance is critical?

• EdAnonymous on July 1, 2018 at 10:05 am

Because they do not care!

3. EdAnonymous on June 30, 2018 at 5:06 pm

No Joan she didn’t. She had to do it all herself. She would be up till 2 to 3 in the morning doing paperwork, figuring schedules and other school stuff. Did you read today’s Post? Now they ae talking about building a brand middle school. Next they will want to bring down the old middle school! This board is worse than the last one.

4. JoanAnonymous on June 29, 2018 at 4:56 pm

Ed, did your mother have all those assistants and interns? Does that not spell out Open Enrollment. I really think they need to bring back those 8 school buses. I didn’t have them because we had sidewalks. Many places in Norton do not. I get scared when I see all those kids on the overpass on Cleveland Massillon road winding around through all that construction which is going to take forever and a day to complete. Those buses are not luxurys but the rest…… I really don’t know.

5. EdAnonymous on June 29, 2018 at 12:53 pm

I understand what you are saying, but my mom was a teacher for 35 years. I saw what she went through also. You have to understand though that the retirees in Norton can’t keep shelling out money they do not have. We don’t get increases to stay ahead of everything. Sometimes you make choices between food and medical. I blame the board, not just in Norton, but all over the country. They spent unwisely without trying to save for the future. Just like the school, Don’t need all the fancy stuff they put in, You are in school to learn not for luxury.

6. Caroll Aleshire on June 29, 2018 at 6:19 am

This is so sad. The community does not understand the need for an operations levy. I am a part-time, hourly paid special education teacher, and this will hurt our most vulnerable students, and make teaching more difficult. I wish some of the people who so vigorously opposed the levy could follow me around for just one day. I mean, not just the hours during the teaching day, but for one and a half hours at school before I start getting paid, and for and hour after I stop getting paid at school, and for the 2-3 hours I continue searching for ideas and making materials and writing lesson plans for the next day. (Weekly lesson plans have to be revised daily for my kiddos. You never know where they will get stuck, or if they will suddenly surge ahead.)