CVS buying Ritzman

Barberton and Norton Ritzman Pharmacy stores will be closing along with almost all other Ritzman locations once a sale to CVS Pharmacies is completed.

The sale, announced Jan. 7, is expected to be finalized by the end of February. According to a Business Wire release, the only stores to continue operation under the CVS banner are ones in Akron and Berlin. CVS plans to interview any Ritzman employees interested in working for CVS.

“While change is always difficult, especially after almost 70 years in business, customers and patients will benefit from having a wide range of products and services available and continue pharmacy care,” Eric Graff, president and CEO of Ritzman stated in the release. He also said Ritzman owners extend a heartfelt expression of gratitude to the patients, customers, associates and communities who have supported Ritzman Pharmacy for these many years.

Check the Herald for more on this story.

1. JPB on January 9, 2019 at 3:02 pm

I remember those other drugstores. That was back in the 1940’s, 1950’s and maybe the1960’s. That was when the factories were all working and people had good jobs.

• Sidney bartoe on January 9, 2019 at 3:39 pm

and the town wasnt a geriatric wasteland. amen

• U-HAUL on January 9, 2019 at 5:54 pm

So MOVE!

• Sidney bartoe on January 10, 2019 at 12:24 pm

Why, its not going to stop being a step down from a nursing home just because one person moves. Now if all the geriatrics were to “move”, Barberton could be great again. we would have a tax base instead of a tax sink, money could go to improving things but no seniors are so entitled they would rather watch it burn than do anything proactive about it

2. Norberton on January 9, 2019 at 2:34 pm

Medicine Shoppe in Norton is good

3. Sidney bartoe on January 9, 2019 at 11:26 am

Walgreen’s on State/Wooster has the best pharmacist hands down, puts ritzman to shame. Once I made the switch it was night and day.

4. Ray Todd on January 9, 2019 at 9:06 am

Does anyone remember these other pharmacies in Barberton…….long gone: Slaybaughs, Bodnars, Grabers, Peoples, Zupics, Partridge, Grey’s, North End, Wyre’s

5. EdAnonymous on January 8, 2019 at 10:09 pm

Sure won’t get the service that Ritzman gave. CVS always screws up your medicine. Seem to be out a lot for some medicine.

6. Becky on January 8, 2019 at 9:17 pm

Are they going to physically shitting down the stores or keeping them open with more items?

7. Jason on January 8, 2019 at 11:43 am

Walt is rolling over in his grave. Will the Barberton Free Clinic still get drugs for the under employed and the uninsured?

• Vince on January 9, 2019 at 2:36 pm

Should not change anything at the Clinic.

8. PATRICIA ROSE on January 8, 2019 at 7:47 am

I started with Ritzmans in Norton 27 years ago when we moved into the area. They were highly recommended. The pharmacists and employees are all top notch professionals. who are more like friends. Where else will I go to get this kind of service? More importantly, I am saddened for their many employees who must find other employment. Thank You!!..for the years of wonderful service, and Best Wishes in your new venture.

9. DAVID smith on January 8, 2019 at 7:32 am

What happens to all my prescriptions now registered at Barberton Ritzmans

• Jason on January 8, 2019 at 11:41 am

Your scripts will be transfered to CVS since they are buying the company.

10. Barbara Fetter on January 8, 2019 at 5:27 am

If I wanted to use CVS or any other pharmacy I would have. Always supported Ritzman’s. I am not happy about this at all. Will now have to shop around.

• Pete on January 8, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Try the Medicine Shop in Norton. Dan the Pharmacist and the rest of the staff is very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and personable. It’s really a shame what’s going on with Ritzman’s. I’m gonna miss them. I absolutely refuse to do business with CVS for my medications. We are nothing but a number to these large corporations which are making small businesses extinct.

11. JPB on January 8, 2019 at 12:27 am

I knew the Ritzman’s when they started out in Wadsworth. Their father (deceased), Walt (deceased ), Earl (deceased) and I think some other brothers. Too bad. It was a family-owned business which there are very few. George Selover had a family-owned pharmacy and I see he just died.

12. Paula Kallio on January 7, 2019 at 9:10 pm

We are loosing our pharmist that help people with questions and help with their medications.Sad

13. Ron Allen on January 7, 2019 at 8:57 pm

My self and two other neighborhood kids,walked in “Walt’s” the first day he opened on 7th Street. We walked out after purchasing our Baseball cards. Since that day, my late parents and myself only dealt with Walt’s..Ritzman name always meant you more than a customer, but a friend. Thank you Ritzman’s .
    Ron Allen