Police Chief asks for more time

The Barberton City jail is set to close this Friday, Feb. 15. The closing was part of the city budget cuts announced in January. 

Barberton Police Chief Vince Morber has sent a request to the city to postpone the closing until March 1 per a statement received from the police department. 

In the statement, Sgt. Robert Lynn of the Barberton Police Department Detective Bureau stated, “Our chief has been diligently working to keep the jail open and devise a plan to keep the jail operational.”

The Herald will publish updates as they become available. 

Further details on the jail closing and negotiations will be published in the Feb. 21 edition. 

9 Comments

  1. Criminals on February 14, 2019 at 8:28 am

    Lets have all these Republican criminals in town take over. Great idea! Grab all the DUI, Money laundry, Tax evasion crooks and have them run this town. It will change quick.

    • Joe Kernan on February 18, 2019 at 10:25 pm

      Dude? I’m a councilman in Norton This is a Democrat game. Stop giving the opposition credit.

  2. Libertarian / Independent & Free ! on February 14, 2019 at 12:42 am

    I think that all of you good folks in Barberton should lock up the mayor and those democrats who are responsible ! They have run your good town into the ground and into a black hole that they created ! Get off of that democrat slavery plantation that you have been on now for many years ! Wake up and wipe the slate clean ! Keep the jail open for these politicians and serve them bread and water ! Put them on this ration to remind them of how easy they can be replaced. Make them eat there own liberal bull shit that they have been dishing our for years ! Barberton is a good town with good people ! Now get busy and VOTE THEM OUT !!!

  3. Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:49 pm

    You peasants are paying your property taxes… for what? What are you receiving in return??

  4. Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:46 pm

    The city of barberton needs to beg the state to come take it over, it cannot even provide BASIC SERVICES to its residents (ie ROADS) I know this is meaningless to the 90% or barberton residents because they are tenants and dont understand having pride or ownership in something. But to the other 10% , (total of 100%, all peasants) as long as you peasants are willing to accept a city forcing you to live in sub mediocrity you all are getting what you deserve. You peasants have voted these people in for decades, now look at you. Shame on you.

    • Realty Check on February 13, 2019 at 5:15 pm

      Before you rant yourself into a coma, the taxpayers can only vote for the one or two lame duck candidates provided every election. The real issue is that the people you have working for the taxpayers do not take pride in their jobs and the majority of them do not live in this town. You need to put in place the old rule that you must reside in the community that you work for. As for your streets, you are paying multiple people premium wages and benefits to work within the street department. Stop writing subcontractor checks and use some of that money to invest in quipment. You are already paying for the Manpower so why not invest a few bucks in your own equipment that would pay for itself within 12 months if you actually put it to use. We have spent millions in subcontractor checks for Street repairs, the majority of that work should have been done by our own Workforce. That would be your quickest way to repair a broken budget. We need less Polar Pop breaks and guys leaning on shovels, time for your well paid Workforce to go home a little tired everyday.

      • Racist on February 13, 2019 at 5:20 pm

        You must not live in barberton either I suspect, as that was a lucid poignant position that I couldn’t agree more with! Well done my friend, well done.

  5. Bernie irwin on February 13, 2019 at 2:06 pm

    It is time for a impartial finance negotiator to work with both sides. Unions and Companies have used federal negotiators, but the Governor should provide the aid before shutdown of Safety Staff and our City. We should not be forced to close the jail. A terrible voice to potential Investors. Do not let this linger.

    • Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:22 pm

      Fix the roads bern

Leave a Comment