Suspect arrested for two Akron bank robberies

Akron Police Detectives arrested Darrion L. Powers, 22, of Sherman Street in Akron, for a bank robbery that occurred yesterday afternoon at the PNC Bank, located at 181 Massillon Road.  He was also charged in the January 4, 2019, robbery of the Huntington Bank, located at 1411 South Arlington Street.  

Around 2:30 p.m., Powers entered the bank armed with a knife and approached the teller counter.  Powers demanded money before leaping over the counter. Powers went down the teller counter taking money from the cash drawers. He placed the money in a backpack that he was wearing backwards on his chest. He fled in a black Chevy Malibu.  

Officers spotted the black Chevy Malibu pulling into a parking lot in the 500 block of Sherman Street in Akron. Powers was taken into custody without incident. Officers obtained a search warrant for the vehicle and content.  

Officers recovered a knife, backpack, an undisclosed amount of cash, and the clothing worn during the robbery.

Around 12:30 p.m. January 4, 2019, Powers entered the Huntington Bank on South Arlington Street in Akron.  He jumped the teller counter and demanded money. Powers was armed with a knife and took an unreported amount of cash from two tellers and fled out the rear door.  He was seen jumping over a fence into the back yards of the Rosemary Apartments. He was seen getting into a black, 4-door vehicle.

Darrion Powers was charged with two counts of aggravated robbery and booked into the Summit County Jail.

Powers is responsible for several other robberies. Additional charges are expected.  Powers is also responsible for several robberies in the City of Cuyahoga Falls.

7 Comments

  1. Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:49 pm

    You peasants are paying your property taxes… for what? What are you receiving in return??

    • Ed on February 14, 2019 at 6:35 am

      You need to get off the crack racist.

    • tax return on February 14, 2019 at 11:46 am

      Us on the East side have received great support from Michael “the criminal catcher” Soyars.

  2. Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:47 pm

    The city of barberton needs to beg the state to come take it over, it cannot even provide BASIC SERVICES to its residents (ie ROADS) I know this is meaningless to the 90% of barberton residents because they are tenants and dont understand having pride or ownership in something. But to the other 10% , (total of 100%, all peasants) as long as you peasants are willing to accept a city forcing you to live in sub mediocrity you all are getting what you deserve. You peasants have voted these people in for decades, now look at you. Shame on you.

    • Give it a rest on February 14, 2019 at 11:42 am

      Republicans will never run Barberton . NEVER. BWWaahahahahahaha

  3. Racist on February 13, 2019 at 4:23 pm

    Fix the roads

  4. Crakron on February 13, 2019 at 12:06 pm

    Stay in Crakron! Scumbag dirtballs!

Leave a Comment