School officials can search and seize

Eric Malo

Herald Staff Writer

Like it or not, your middle schooler will not be allowed to carry a cellphone around. It doesn’t matter if your child is on a lunch break or between classes. If they are caught, they will have the phone confiscated.

With the growing addiction to being in constant contact via Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat, the teachers are always having to fight for full attention.

At the beginning of the school year, Barberton Middle School will implement the “Away For The Day” policy, which means no student will be allowed to use a cellphone or any electronic devices, except what the school provides, during the hours of 7:50 a.m.-2:50 p.m. Phones must be off and secured in the students assigned locker. If a parent needs to get ahold of their child in case of an emergency, they can call the office at 330–745-9950 and they will convey the message. Parents should not attempt to call or text a child’s cellphone. If a student is caught the consequences are:

First infraction: the phone will be taken away and returned to the student at the end of the day. Second infraction: the phone will be taken, parents will be notified and the phone will be given back to the student at the end of the day. Third infraction: the phone will be taken and must be picked up by a parent.

More severe punishments will be enforced for repeatedly breaking the rules.

The best way to avoid problems is to keep the cell at home. Remember, the school is not responsible for lost or stolen phones. If it’s necessary for your child to have a telephone remind them they must keep the phone off and away for the day.

You would be wrong to think the school doesn’t have the right to seize the phone. Although the Fourth Amendment protects you from unreasonable search and seizures, breaking the rules set by school authorities is reasonable and gives them the legal right to seize personal property. Also, according to the U.S. Courts, school officials need not obtain a warrant before searching a student who is under their authority; instead, a search of a student need only be reasonable under all the circumstances.
New Jersey v. TLO, 469 U.S. 325 (1985)

1. the lonesome polecat on July 30, 2019 at 1:09 pm

they’re afraid their indoctrination tactics will be recorded and displayed on youtube.hint,hint

2. Dougii on July 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm

probably a good idea maybe this but mabeylike certain hours were they can’t have the clella .I don’t know but in light of all shootings in schools I don’t know if it’s really liking now right and just stay in this day an age of being vigilant all cameras around you should know but I can’t help what happenedhave the kids have any say in it I think they should have a big sayy in it really I don’t know what to say I’m off for the kids man God forbid anything like that would happenI think they should have an alternative somehow I mean do you know ,they’re going to carry him anyways carry their phones high School middle School everybody has a phone so I don’t know I’m going to say not a good idea what about maybe they should like the Barberton mayor the Barberton police. They’re training for anything like that gossip it again if it would ever happen so I think there’s a big debate about this feel bad cuz they know that God forbid it happens like that whoever went upon herself to do this as they haven’t even have passed it will have that burden on their shoulders let’s have a town meeting yeah let’s do that I say we meet down at the gazebo at 6 tomorrow and let’s debate it let’s see what the the city and everybody thinks about it I’m not the smartest hook in the fish hook tank but I think it needs to be not bad but it needs to be debated. DougiiHillyer.

3. phone phag on July 19, 2019 at 12:05 pm

all phones should be checked in and checked out in school and work. unless it is an Obama phone. bwwhahahahahahahahahahahahaahah…..

4. Dominic coon on July 18, 2019 at 10:44 pm

This is stupid bc i have diabetes and i need to text my mom my sugar… Takeing phone is not going to inprove grades.. Kids dont care about grades nomore.

• JPB on July 19, 2019 at 10:17 am

You have more trouble besides diabetes. You can’t spell and you don’t care about school. Plus, what are you doing up at 10:45 pm

• Anonymous on July 21, 2019 at 7:34 am

Yea thank GOD with that new law George Bush said “”NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND”” Now no matter how.NOONE IN CLASS UNDERSTANDS WHAT THE TEACHERS SAY.WHO CARES IF OURKID DOESN’TLEARN A DARN THING THEY WILL PASS OUR KIDS OH BUT AS LONG AS THE SEAT IS OCCUPIED. THEY GET AN. BARBERTON EXCELLENT. AWARD PARENTS THINK ABOUT THIS. READY! OUR KIDS MAY NEVER. NEVER LEAVE HOME CAUSE THE REAL TUFFASS WORLD WON’T PLAY THERE GOING TO SUCKTHE LIFE OUT OF OUR. NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND,I SAY THE WHOLE CLASS GETS IT OR WE WILL DO IT UNTIL WE ALL GET IT.

5. EdAnonymous on July 18, 2019 at 4:11 pm

Need to do it in all the schools. Workplace needs to enforce it also. Employees too busy with texting they can’t get work done.

6. JPB on July 18, 2019 at 2:55 pm

This is why these kids are getting D’s and F’s.

• Katie on July 18, 2019 at 5:19 pm

No,they are just dumb 😂 quit blaming a phone.

7. Crevisb on July 18, 2019 at 12:02 pm

Good. This is not unreasonable.

• Dougii on July 21, 2019 at 3:37 pm