Frank Allen Wrobel

We lost another good man. Frank Allen Wrobel passed away Sept. 3. Frank was born in Barberton, but spent his early years in Norton, graduating with a record of perfect attendance, in 1970. He then attended Kent State University, and while next attending San Bernardino Valley College he worked on one of the country’s first computerized Classification Hump Yards for Southern Pacific Railroad in Colton, California. He then spent time hitchhiking and hopping freight trains around the West, back when it was still safe. He played bass guitar in numerous local bands. As a partnering entrepreneur he co-founded the Allen Keith Construction Company, the Doylestown Animal Clinic, Barley’s Restaurant and Henry Banks’ Cafe in Barberton, where he and his partners completed ground-up restorations on two of the town’s most important historical structures. They are now prominent parts of the Entertainment District. He also helped edit and proofread a few books for the Barberton Historical Society and spent years as a board member of the Neighborhood Conservation Service. In 1981 he returned to West End Hardware, the business founded by his Great Grandmother in 1917. He was almost always there to lend a helping hand to anyone in need, and his accomplishments were recognized when he was selected to be the Grand Marshall of the Labor Day Parade in 2014. He was preceded in death by his parents, Frank C. and Mary, his Mother-in-law Celesta Weingart, brothers-in-law Rick Blind, William Goff, and Jeff Weingart and sister-in-law Trina Weingart. Survivors include his sisters Rosemary Goff and Jane (Phil) Power, nephews Michael Goff,  Chad Blind, Eric Blind and their families, Father-in-law Claire  (Audrey)Weingart, his sister-in-law Cathy (John) Barton, brothers-in-law Jon (Judy) Weingart, Jerry (Karen) Weingart, Joel (Amy) Weingart, Jason (Trina) Weingart, son Tim (Tina) Hoffman, daughter Becky (Eric) Glista and their families, and his best friend and soulmate, wife Cindy. Frank would like to thank Dr. Sandhu and her Oncology Staff, the Staff at West End Hardware, Dan and Debbie Hanlon, Larry and Kim Okolish, Regina and Scott Brown, Gary and Sue Williams, John Marsek, Bill Boa, Larry Jenkins, Jeff Orr, Jim Moore, the Ballard, Crookston, Zelovic, and the Spring families, Pastor Combs, Mike Dannemiller, Father Jackson, and a list of patrons and friends that is much too large to include here. You all know how much you have enriched Frank’s journey. Memorial Mass will be 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept.  7,  at Prince of Peace Catholic Church, 1263 Shannon Ave., Norton. Fr. Robert Jackson, Celebrant. Per Frank’s wishes, there will be no calling hours. A Celebration of Frank’s Life will be held at a later date in early Nov.. The family asks to please allow them to grieve Frank’s passing. In lieu of flowers, Pay it Forward and help an elderly neighbor or a family in need. Frank says “Take the time to be kind and love the ones you’re with.” To share a memory or send a condolence, please visit www.silva-hostetler.com 330-825-8700.

1. Larry Lallo on September 7, 2019 at 10:09 pm

My first memories of Frank was working with him and Tim, with BCDC and the Barley’s restaurant project. Frank was a great supporter, counselor, and advocate and always willing to lend an ear or give a helping hand to work through problems, or home repair issues.

The hardware store……we all know that is one of the most amazing places on the face of the earth. There should be a TV series easily written about it! Also I love playing in the blues band with Frank, riding bikes, and going to the blues festival in Chicago together. He was a wonderful person, and his passing is a huge loss to the Barberton sense of Community, but a great gain for Heaven! We Love you Frank and deeply miss you.

2. Dave Housley on September 7, 2019 at 12:04 am

I remember going in the store and would have one of my kid’s with me and they would give them a paint brush sucker which would turn their mouth the color of the sucker. Frank was always helpful and everyone at the store were the same way, if they didn’t have something they would help you find it, even going as far as to make a phone call, I wasn’t a contractor or commercial customer just your average home owner, and that’s the kind of service you could expect every time. Thank You and R.I.P. Frank

3. John Gajovski on September 5, 2019 at 9:31 pm

I meet Frank in the early 90’s. He knew my Dads Family. He was always so happy to see you and he was always very happy to help you. I got to go to the hardware for work and I always left there with a smile on my face. Great Man and a great American. God bless him and is family

4. Robin Conner on September 5, 2019 at 9:00 pm

I have to say that Frank was a Wonderful man! I worked for him at Henry Banks Cafe and was left with memories of a great person! My heart goes out to his family! Rest Peaceful in Heaven Frank. I will Forever remember you and Smile!💕

5. Coach on September 5, 2019 at 8:55 pm

I didnt know this gentleman, but its clear he was a kind and generous asset to the community. Godspeed Sir.

6. Anne on September 5, 2019 at 6:55 pm

I didn’t really know Frank but have always heard good things about him. I feel like we got to know one another plating our words with friends game. So sorry for your loss. ❤️🙏

7. joan schaefer on September 5, 2019 at 6:40 pm

thinking of you cindy at this time !! i didn’t know frank but he had to be a good and loving man to be married to cindy !!! he will be missed i am sure !!!

8. David Tibensky on September 5, 2019 at 5:53 pm

As s former resident of Barberton,I knew Frank,and enjoyed shopping in.his hardware. He was always helpful, and easy to get to deal with. I worked for Lloyds Electric, and did some wireing in the hardware store. RI P.😏

9. Joseph Martin, Yankovich on September 4, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Frank is a very remarkable man. Hartzell Dairy chocolate milk and bread from Massolis bakery reminds me of him and Cindy. I will always remenber his kindness and freindship.

10. Ray Todd on September 4, 2019 at 7:14 pm

Like his dad, always so helpful, knowledgeable and generous.

11. Sue e hooser on September 4, 2019 at 4:17 pm

I’m privileged to call him my friend. Here’s to a beer and a shot of Crown behind the counter. Rest well my friend, until we meet again. XO

12. Anonymous on September 4, 2019 at 4:01 pm

Our memories of Frank was to see his smile and personality was the best Larry Jenkins and Timothy Sayre thought the world of Frank he would call Tim his tulip we a got a kick out of him when ever he call Tim that he will be miss alot our condolences to you and your family from Larry and Barbara and Timothy Jenkins

13. Robert Martin on September 4, 2019 at 3:42 pm

What a guy. Man I miss him. Gotta love that last quote from him . . . That’s very Frank.

• Phil Power on September 5, 2019 at 9:41 am

Not only was he good friend, but a great brother-in-law