Officer Mullenix saves Tina Turner

The Herald was dispatched to investigate a reported kind act committed by a Barberton Police Officer.

Debra Spork-Kinney is the owner of a large Chow/Shepherd mix dog, which she rescued a little over five years ago. The 100-pound dog, named Tina Turner, is now over 10 years old and suffers from arthritis and thyroid problems. A dog that size isn’t easy to move, so when Tina slipped and fell going up the stairs of her home in King’s Court Apartments, Kinney wasn’t sure what to do.

She called the police, and although the dispatcher wasn’t sure it was something an officer would be willing to help with, they promised to send someone over. Luckily, Officer Terry Mullenix reported to the scene, and he was not afraid to lend a hand.

With the help of Jeffrey, a property management worker at King’s Court, they were able to get friendly Tina back in the safety of her home.

“She’s a big dog,” said Kinney, who was touched by the efforts of Officer Mullenix. “He didn’t have to do that,” she added. She wanted to report the incident to draw attention to all the little (and big) things that our police officers do for the community. “(Tina) was so nice to the officer and he was so nice to her, I just couldn’t get over it,” exclaimed Kinney.

Tina died just a few days later, and Kinney is grateful that Officer Mullenix took the time to help. Although they didn’t know it at the time, his efforts helped make one of Tina’s last days better. Tina will be greatly missed by her owner, and the kindness of the Barberton police and their officers will be remembered.

Sophia Senderak

Herald staff writer

1. Debbie Spori Kinney on November 17, 2019 at 7:41 am

I am the pet parent of Tina Turner. My beautiful girl. Thank you again for helping my Tina up to our apartment. She was a godsend when I saw her in the plain dealer in 2014. I’ll never have anyone like her again. That beautiful dog was part of my body. What do you do, after this type of a crisis occurs??!!

2. Mike Walkley on November 8, 2019 at 11:48 pm

Terry, a great high school friend of mine is one of the most stand-up, good guys I know! It does not shock me to hear that he would help anyone, human or animal. Proud of you Brother!! Way to represent! May the Lord’s blessings and protection be with you always!!

3. Sharon Cotrufo on November 8, 2019 at 5:42 am

I have known Terry & his wife for a long time, he has such a big Heart, this just shows another example of who he is. Great job Terry🇺🇸💜

4. John waite on November 7, 2019 at 6:39 pm

My smart phones an idiot.it won’t let me type what I want.anyway it was meant to be a compliment.

5. John waite on November 7, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Last comment was misspelled,rather has my fingers,I ment to say browns finest.

6. John waite on November 7, 2019 at 6:33 pm

That’s why they are barberton fornest.

7. Peg Myers on November 7, 2019 at 11:47 am

I wouldn’t have expected anything less of Terry. He is one of Barberton’s finest

• Cynthia Murphy on November 8, 2019 at 6:16 am

Terry is my sons best friend and I am sorry but there are not enough words to express how I feel about this man.He is a very kind and good man .He will be there to help any why he can .I think of him like a third son! What he did is no surprise to the people who know and love him !!