Magics improve to 8-3

Bradley Eagle shoots a 3-pointer versus Kent.

Barberton’s boys basketball team rebounded from a tough loss at Tallmadge by defeating Kent Roosevelt, 35-33 at home.

Anthony Cook led the team with 12 points in the low-scoring game. Sonny Fox followed with 7 points and six rebounds and D’Lawrence Scott added 6 points and four assists.

Jamair Blackmon (4 points, four rebounds), Bradley Eagle (4 points, three steals) and Tony Fox (2 points) also scored.

The team took a 3-point lead with eight seconds remaining when Scott made two free throws after being intentionally fouled. The Magics then decided to intentionally foul Kent at half court with five seconds left, forcing them to make one free throw and miss the second on purpose.

That’s what happened, and Kent grabbed the rebound, but missed three straight difficult layups before the ball went out of bounds with 0.3 seconds remaining, and a desperate shot was no good.

The Magics improved to 8-3 (4-2 Suburban League) and tied Kent for second in the conference. The team returns Saturday, Jan. 11 for a road game at Coventry at 7 p.m.

Jamair Blackmon attempts to get past a Kent defender.

1. it's your story tell it how u want on January 13, 2020 at 7:27 am

those brave hippies standing against the Vietnam war!! those same hippies that spit on our soldiers!!?

2. Yp po is bringin me down on January 13, 2020 at 7:13 am

Express yourself!! Ain’t that right? Every comment is doing just that!! YOU MAD BRO?

3. facts matter on January 13, 2020 at 7:00 am

Heard you guys are really pulling numbers in at the games. I’m sure its enough to keep the lights on?

4. Color Blind on January 13, 2020 at 6:30 am

RACIST SWINE

5. Lydia on January 13, 2020 at 6:25 am

DO NOT DENY THESE BOYS THEIR RIGHT TO PRACTICE FOR LIFE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL

• Kneel and Bob on January 13, 2020 at 6:32 am

Practice makes perfect

• Respectful American on January 13, 2020 at 9:30 am

Disrespectful loosers!! From high school to county lockup!! What a life after basketball!!

6. Lydia on January 13, 2020 at 6:21 am

A real saint huh? Most realize what it’s REALLY about.

• facts matter on January 13, 2020 at 6:57 am

oldie but goodie for you. I FOUGHT THE LAW AND THE LAW WON!! Keep up the daring and radical action!!

• facts matter on January 14, 2020 at 7:08 am

2017- more whites were killed by police, 2018- more whites were killed by police,2019 more whites were killed by police.

7. IV Maii MCMLXX on January 13, 2020 at 5:57 am

It must be admitted that social change is brought about by daring and radical action. One can scarce deny that the police have been involved in many shootings of black folks, many of whom were unarmed, throughout America in recent years. To me it seems as if this demonstration during the National Anthem is akin to the brave American college students of May 4, 1970, who stood against the Vietnam War in Kent State.One of our own local boys, Alan Canfora, suffered a bullet wound from National Guardsmen standing up against the war. Then change came. That’s just how it works in our country. Those who take a knee will suffer at the hands of the ignorant, but in the end will prevail if they do not grow slack. Just because you are offended by the message is no reason to attack the messenger. Glad our youth have some guts! This is, after all, America…the land of the free.

• retsamssabde on January 13, 2020 at 6:02 am

a head full of lies is the weight, tied to my waist

• Color Blind on January 13, 2020 at 6:24 am

Great Scott! If it were not for Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement look where we’d be. Like Canfora, King took a bullet. Movements that effect change only grow when the blood of martyrs is watering the soil they grow on. Plenty of African American martyrs are dying at the hands of our modern day Gestapo. If the cops shot my brother I’d take to my knee too!

• facts matter on January 13, 2020 at 6:37 am

why was his brother shot?

• facts matter on January 13, 2020 at 6:48 am

when 13% of the population commits 50% of the crime. Martyrs? LMAO! Facts are not on your lying side.

• Kappernick2 on January 14, 2020 at 3:57 am

Commits 50% of the crime? Or should it be noted that 13% is” convicted” of 50% of the crime by a justice system which is biased against them?

• retsamssabde on January 14, 2020 at 5:30 am

lol

• retsamssabde on January 13, 2020 at 7:30 am

A head full of lies is the weight tied to your waist

• Anonymous on January 13, 2020 at 8:00 am

what a profound pile of garbage

8. Kappernick2 on January 13, 2020 at 4:19 am

What about freedom of speech? The boy may feel impelled to make this statement. Furthermore, as the Superintendent said, if they try to do something about the “taking a knee” the schools could be subject to a lawsuit. My thinking is this: when the boy walks onto the court then “boo the hell out of him”. Many do not stand for the Star Spangled Banner such as Jehovah’s Witnesses. I don’t see anyone calling for their lynching. Just because I stand and place my hand over my heart out of respect for the nation and those who have served under Old Glory, it is meaningless unless I support what the country stands for (i.e. free speech). It’s a sad thing to think that I can’t speak out against what I think is wrong in America without a bunch of Trumpish Americans attacking me.

• the windows of the mouth on January 13, 2020 at 5:57 am

Freedom of speech works both ways. Look a few comments down ⬇️ . CRY WOLF

• retsamssabde on January 13, 2020 at 8:45 am

It’s a sad thing to think that I cant speak out against what I think is wrong in America without a bunch of virtue signaling,libtard,Anti-American,Americans attacking me. 🖕 propaganda guy!!

9. Anonymous on January 12, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Barberton City Schools, ask yourself this question. Would you be supporting the Akron transfer basketball player who is offending your supporting community if there was an upcoming election. We supported you when your ask for our vote to “Vote for the School Levy” and we did! Pretty sure the levy passed. Not only are we paying our taxes like you ask of us – this is what we get!! The question going forward is do we continue support you. Stop offending your supporters and have this protester sit in the locker room during the National Anthem.

10. Anonymous on January 12, 2020 at 2:59 pm

How disgraceful, I can barely sit through the basketball game….I am so embaressed and deeply offended that the Barberton City Schools support this behavioral. This parent sets a very poor example swearing during the sporting event and after the games people/kids overhearing his terrible mouth. I hope that the other Barberton coaches are bigger and better to handle this situation going forward….stay in the locker room and sit there – o’ and maybe don’t come out – better yet go back to wherever you came from. I give you permission to take my tax dollars you receive and go protest somewhere else other than where I live and the community/school I support.

11. retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 8:48 am

I’m sorry for stealing this comment but it should be at the top. -MTI – I’m sorry for YOUR hatred for YOUR country.

• retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 8:53 am

Because we all know that’s what its REALLY about. Otherwise you’d stand in front of the Akron courthouse and demand justice.

12. DRAMA QUEENS on January 12, 2020 at 7:07 am

Never ending DRAMA

13. […] Based on reader comments posted on an online story from the Barberton Herald, it appears the students’ actions took place during Friday night’s high school boys basketball win over Kent Roosevelt. It is unknown at this time just how many players did not stand. […]

14. Kbk on January 11, 2020 at 4:37 pm

Well, I can see property value going down by the year. Whoever allowed open enrollment need to be fired. Barberton was fine before it become Akron. I am selling next year. Time to move before it all goes way down!

15. UBU on January 11, 2020 at 7:26 am

Sit UBU sit, good dog

16. Btownboyz on January 11, 2020 at 3:21 am

Coach gotto wouldn’t put up with that crap.

17. BigMunch on January 11, 2020 at 3:08 am

Boy ooh Boy….folks really gonna be mad next game……✊✊✊

• Used to be a Magic on January 11, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Of course…weakness attracts weakness…if you choose not to support the country then dont take any of the support it gives you…including that free money that comes every month …you cant have it both ways

• Kappernick2 on January 13, 2020 at 4:21 am

Are you saying that the colored boy is on welfare?

• 52keys on January 13, 2020 at 8:14 am

colored boy? you racist SOB

• 52keys on January 13, 2020 at 8:15 am

more white on welfare. kappernik a bytch

• Kappernick2 on January 14, 2020 at 3:53 am

I am sorry if the term “colored” offended you, however, may I point out that the #1 organization for black folk is the NAACP. Just what do you think the C stands for? National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People, right? If black folk identify themselves in the name of their principal organization as “Colored” who are we to dispute the nomenclature? I do not see one thing wrong with my phraseology here.

• 52keys on January 14, 2020 at 8:55 am

of course you dont

• retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 7:54 am

Its possible they’re just preparing for life after high school. You know….. Kneeling

18. JBC on January 11, 2020 at 2:46 am

Pretty sure 80% of parents are mad. Time to send them to norton or Wadsworth. Move on out. Barberton’s going downhill.

19. Bernice on January 11, 2020 at 2:05 am

Sad display of character. What a disappointment from the coaching staff. These kids are barely out of diapers and have no idea about the real world. Worry about your grades and being friendly to each other at school. Stop trying to seek attention where attention is not needed or wanted. Or go back to Akron public schools.

20. MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 1:38 am

I am sorry. I was wrong.

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 1:50 am

Im not sorry!!!….kneeling for the national anthem = eff the police?? how dumb.

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 1:59 am

why is this song the national anthem? learn why. you cant sum up history with a few selective bits of it. they wanna kneel then good for them. bravo. you’ve really proved a point! 👍🇺🇸

• Kneel armstrong on January 11, 2020 at 7:50 am

Hatred is taught. Put a white, black, Chinese, Mexican and Korean 1 yr old in a room together they all gonna play together just fine.

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 8:29 am

you might have to get them in the room before the ripe age of 1. I’ve witnessed kids in diapers being brainwashed. its starts from the womb.

21. MY PAIN on January 11, 2020 at 12:26 am

IS SELF CHOSEN- RIVER OF DECEIT

• mad season on January 12, 2020 at 12:25 pm

a head full of lies is the weight,tied to my waist

22. DEATH TO AMERICA on January 10, 2020 at 11:37 pm

I like this movement very much so! Flag stomp tomorrow! Followed by a nice flag burning on Sunday? Very…..Very nice!

23. MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 11:18 pm

I’m not used to be magic. psst…your racism is showing grandma. keep assuming.

24. #5 on January 10, 2020 at 10:57 pm

#5’s brother was shot and killed by the police in Akron #21 was supporting #5

• makes sense now! on January 10, 2020 at 11:00 pm

that has nothing to do with the American flag. but whatever. you do you.

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:38 pm

It has EVERYTHING to do with AMERICA…you want equality when it comes to fighting your wars to help steal oil from another nation but back home you won’t fight for us or at least give us a fighting chance against the sworn officers of the law…then you want a nation of kidnapped people in a stolen land to sing a stolen song with you…FOH

• DEATH TO AMERICA on January 10, 2020 at 11:52 pm

drink another one! you’re off in left field! probably kneeling……

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 12:18 am

52keykeys- care to tell me who the first American to own a slave was? hey google…. kidnapped or sold? stolen or conquered?

25. Kfrogtv on January 10, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Burning daylight blood. Please don’t waste any daylight worrying about what these kids are doing. We are the land of the free for a reason. You don’t have to agree, just respect their rights. I have been in Colorado for 7 years, we respect ALL Americans RIGHTS. Not just the ones that look like us, or agree with us. We are not black we do not know how they may feel.
    I am proud to be a North Ender. I wish these ignornat people would respect these kids and their rights.

• how do we respect their rights? on January 10, 2020 at 10:57 pm

by pretending? yeah it’s their right. it’s also my right to think it’s a shitty thing to do. soooo….

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:40 pm

So is unjustly killing someone…little bit more shitty I’d say

• DEATH TO AMERICA on January 10, 2020 at 11:56 pm

another anti- American☝️ 52 key keys

• Circus on January 11, 2020 at 10:57 am

Play dumb games, win dumb prizes.

• Kfrogtv on January 10, 2020 at 11:05 pm

I’m from Colorado! I’m a smug douche bag! My farts smell delightful!! 🤪

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 11:09 pm

pretty damn racist of you kfrog, to assume no white kids are kneeling. reeeeeee

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:41 pm

Where there…no it was black students…when Tebow kneeled you kneeled with him and made it POPULAR and ACCEPTABLE

• DEATH TO AMERICA on January 10, 2020 at 11:58 pm

um..ok… nope I called him a pu-ssee too

• Used to be a Magic on January 12, 2020 at 9:35 am

He kneeled in a celebration after a play moron …not when the National Anthem is playing…wow what complete ignorance

26. police brutality on January 10, 2020 at 10:47 pm

These barberton cops are brutalizing their citizens?

27. MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Good work👍! Congratulations!

28. Slice on January 10, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Them boys can stand kneel squat lay down for all who cares address the problem give them help or bash these 🥜🥜 -The Big Guy

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:43 pm

good job! 👍

29. Barberton is home on January 10, 2020 at 10:29 pm

I am a white male. A life long resident of the Magic City since 1954. I am also a vet.
    I was at the game tonight. Those players are good kids. I have talked to them on many occasions.
    I love, support and am very thankful to be in such a great free country. Respect their kids rights, as you want yours respected! #GOMAGICS!
    I was always taught to mind my business. Try it.

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm

who gives a damn what color you are. virtue signaling? gross.

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Wow stand for the flag but disrespect the army vet…..sounds ass backwards to me

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:53 pm

disrespecting a vet? because I dont give a damn what color he/she/it is? for all we know its 12 and Asian? Now go eff yourself!! 🤪

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:45 pm

Beautiful

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 12:23 am

you big dummy that’s me. 2nd anonymous. Now go eff yourself!! 🤣🤪

30. good for you!! 👍 congratulations!! on January 10, 2020 at 10:21 pm

#forevervictims

31. Barberton 1976 team on January 10, 2020 at 10:14 pm

The movement is against police brutality. There are many people in our country, specifically African-Americans, who feel they’re being discriminated against—that there’s racism, that there’s bigotry. I’m not African-American. I cannot deny their feelings. I cannot deny their emotions. I am a veteran. I support my country. I love my flag. I may not agree exactly with what they’re doing, but I do agree with the democratic process. If they feel the need to take a seat and say, “Hey, something’s wrong, and not everyone’s being treated equally,” who am I to say, “No, what you’re feeling is wrong”? What we need to say is, “OK, you have my attention. How do we get going? How do we get this show on the road?”

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:16 pm

oblivious to statistics? bowel movement?

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:47 pm

But you sir won’t make yourself known with these comments…COWARDICE…YELLOW BELLIED…TAIL TUCKER

• DEATH TO AMERICA on January 11, 2020 at 12:01 am

put your money where your mouth is Name,Address,Social,and 3 digit security code on back of debit card is all I need. 🤪

• 52keys on January 13, 2020 at 8:05 am

and KNEELER

• retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 8:31 am

keykey you forgot KNEELER

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Well spoken and maybe if people talked about their feeling it could help these young men understand your stance because the previous statements only solidify no one cares about their feeling against racism and or police brutality!

• good for you!! 👍 congratulations!! on January 10, 2020 at 10:23 pm

lol 🤣

• retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 8:33 am

muh feelings!! -n- sheit

32. MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 9:48 pm

they should remain seated for the entire game. trash and their trashy parents.

• Barberton Mom on January 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Address the parents tomorrow face to face coward

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I’m at lake annie right now! swing by! you’ll know which one I am. I’ll tell you trash right to your face!

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:17 pm

What you there purchasing your meth no that’s ok I’ll let you do that In peace

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:18 pm

I’m looking for swimmers

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:22 pm

Go ahead and jump maybe you’ll find some don’t forget take deep breaths 🤣🤣

• 52keys on January 13, 2020 at 8:07 am

like peter piper! leading rats to water!

• retsamssabde on January 12, 2020 at 8:38 am

Like peter piper! Draw the rats to the water!! LMAO

33. Used to be a Magic on January 10, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Now we have to players not standing for the National Anthem. Playing high school sports is a way to support your school and community. It is a privilege not a right. The coach needs to address this issue appropriately. And the administration, including the AD, Principal and Superintendent need to back him. The bottom line is either they stand or they dont participate. Im sure this is parent driven since they dont stand either. Im sure my tax dollars assist in the check they receive from the Government that they wont stand to support. Handle it or standby and watch others like myself not attend any Barberton High School events in the future.

• Barberton Mom on January 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm

We won’t miss you stay home

• show no respect on January 10, 2020 at 10:08 pm

lowlife!

• Anonymous on January 10, 2020 at 10:12 pm

As you type behind a keyboard w no name hell no we don’t respect you

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 10:14 pm

trash

• show no respect on January 10, 2020 at 10:08 pm

receive no respect

• Barberton Grandmother on January 10, 2020 at 10:27 pm

My family is one of hard workers with degrees. We don’t receive government checks and we pay taxes. Perhaps to lift your ignorance you should research about how the sitting, kneeling, and fist raising by both whites as well as people of color began. If you choose to stay home the team has enough support that you won’t be missed. The only trashy thing is people who hide behind anonymity and bash what they are unable to understand. Stay behind your cowardice or address us face to face. Makes no difference to me because I’m still attending the games with you or without you.

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 10, 2020 at 11:24 pm

your racism is showing grandma. I’m not used to be magic. were all Americans right? so why do you all keep bringing color into it! Racists?

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:43 pm

Cuz your intolerance to why this kid doesn’t want to stand…but the funny thing is if it was a gay issue you would have apologized by now

• DEATH TO AMERICA on January 11, 2020 at 12:02 am

good on the butt bandits! 🤣

• Trumpforprison on January 14, 2020 at 4:20 am

Golly, that’s a queer thing to say.

• HO MO YA DONT on January 14, 2020 at 9:05 am

Colon Pilots,Rump Rangers,Butt Plungers,Shit Sticks,Peter Puffers and the list goes on and on.

• Used to be a Magic on January 11, 2020 at 1:22 pm

Please educate me on how not supporting your country…yet taking from your country is right? A high school basketball game is the wrong venue ..there are places to protest…but once again if you do choose to protest please go all in…dont take public assistance, dont take free lunch, dont take free college , dont take bonus points when you take a test for a Government job…no freebies whatsoever…then maybe someone will give you a platform

• 52 Keyz on January 10, 2020 at 11:51 pm

You wouldn’t go if their record was reversed…and the kids with an issue on this topic removed from play is what you would pray to be…humble yourself and let these kids express themselves appropriately

• MOVE TO IRAN on January 11, 2020 at 12:06 am

I would never go to begin with. I’m sorry for your hatred for your country. That better?

• Used to be a Magic on January 11, 2020 at 1:27 pm

They can express themselves…sure go ahead…have at it…but please please do not take the assistance this great country gives you…no monthly check for doing nothing…no free lunch…no free college…no bonus points when you take a test for a Government job.. no more freebies…no more excuses…you have the absolute right to protest…but dont be a hypocrite and take what you have been taking