Summit County Fiscal Officer Kristen M. Scalise CPA, CFE has announced that first half 2019 real estate tax bills will be mailed beginning Friday, Jan. 17. The closing date for payment will be Friday, Feb. 21 with the exception of military personnel. Property taxes are deferred for military reservists who are on active duty. Applications can be obtained by calling 330-643-2641 or visiting our website at http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net.
We offer several convenient ways for taxpayers to make payment:
1. In person: Payments can be made in-person at the Summit County Fiscal Office, Treasurers Division, 3rd floor of the Ohio Building, 175 S. Main St., Akron 44308. Our office hours are 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday.
2. By mail: Mailed payments must be U.S. postmarked by Feb. 21 to avoid the statutory 10% penalty for late payment. A private meter is not valid for establishing the date of payment.
3. At banks that participate in the Regional Tax Collection System: A list of participating banks is included on your tax bill.
4. Online or by phone: Tax bills can be paid online or by phone through a secure payment service provided by Official Payments Corporation. Taxpayers will need their parcel number on-hand. A nominal service fee will be charged by Official Payments Corporation. To pay taxes online or by phone, go to http://fiscaloffice.summitoh.net/index.php/on-line-tax-payments.
5. At a MoneyGram location: In person cash payments can be made through MoneyGram, a payment service offered at 35,000 locations nationwide. MoneyGram provides guaranteed same-day transactions. A nominal service fee will be charged by Official Payments Corporation. To locate a MoneyGram center, visit www.OfficialPayments.com/locate or call 1-800-MoneyGram.
The Tax Installment Program (TIP) is available to provide assistance to those who are unable to pay their bill in full by the due date. Homeowners who enroll in this program can avoid late payment penalties. To be eligible, all taxes and assessments must be current. The deadline to sign up for the Tax Installment Plan is Feb. 21, also the last day to pay first half 2019 real estate taxes. Call 330-643-2869 to enroll now. The Fiscal Office continues to offer various programs to assist homeowners with delinquent taxes. If you have fallen delinquent, please call our office for more information at 330-643-2600.
Ohio law states that it is the responsibility of the property owner to obtain and pay their tax bill on time. To request a copy of your tax bill, please call 330-643-2588. Tax bills can also be downloaded from our website at http://FiscalOffice.summitoh.net.