Chase Bank closing Norton branch

The Chase Bank in Norton will be closing April 23 and will be consolidating with the branch at 444 E. Robinson Ave. (near Giant Eagle). All branch employees have been offered positions at nearby branches.

Chase spokesperson Carlene Lule, noted that the way consumers bank, has changed. She stated that “More than 80% of transactions are now done through digital banking. Community by community, you’ll see different branch formats and more advanced ATMs designed to match how customers choose to bank with us.” She also noted that technology has advanced to the point where almost all traditional banking transactions – including deposits, transfers and paying bills – can be done from the convenience of the ATM, online, or on a mobile app.

1. Sam on January 29, 2020 at 11:20 am

I will be sad to see it go. Very nice employees. I prefer banking in person, but, times change.

2. Iconoclast on January 29, 2020 at 4:33 am

While I deplore the modern automated banking, thus choosing my good old Integrity Federal Credit Union over Chase and other “mega banks”, I think much of the real reason Chase is closing the branch down is that it is rendered unapproachable by the ridiculous construction that has been ongoing seemingly forever on Cleveland Massillon Road. How many Norton businesses have packed up and moved away due to this fiasco? Twigs, Milich’s, Hallmark Cards, Farmers Exchange and the list continues. Whomever is behind this “improvement” (and it is mediocre beyond belief) must surely be a moron. Want to screw things up? Leave it to the government!

• anon on January 29, 2020 at 5:50 am

well ok then Little Lord FauntleyRoy

3. Anonymous on January 28, 2020 at 12:13 pm

Barberton herald posts more about Norton then about Barberton .

• Jack Gainer on January 28, 2020 at 9:36 pm

That’s because we have more good things happening in Norton! We rock!

• anon on January 29, 2020 at 5:42 am

then and than – learn the definitions

4. Coach on January 28, 2020 at 8:43 am

Are you that stupid to believe neighboring cities individual policies dont impact each other? Just as neighboring states individual policies do

5. Coach on January 28, 2020 at 12:18 am

Another business shuttered, another great achievement for barbertons 3 team mayor!!! I really think he’ll be able to force another 50 or so to go with his stupidity!!!
    Second this year right? First kmart…

• Coach on January 28, 2020 at 12:43 am

Correction; *** 3 term mayor ***

• A Non E Moose on January 28, 2020 at 8:04 am

Yeah… this is Norton, but blame the Barberton Mayor anyway. If you’re looking for stupid, find a mirror.

• NORTON on January 28, 2020 at 8:22 am

This is in Norton, how does this relate to Mayor Judge whatsoever? They are unfortunately correct – people do not use traditional banking services like they used to anymore. You can deposit a check from your phone without having to put pants on, let alone leave the house.

6. triska on January 28, 2020 at 12:10 am

who can trust ATM’s with all this “skimmer” technology? and Barberton’s atms inside do not give out all Denominations of bills… I hope the Barberton Branch will open more than just 2 Teller Windows. (and on a Friday!) my goodness they must have 10 windows positions… in that office and I have never seen more than 1 or 2 open with a clerk. and then one of them is also trying to juggle the Drive-Thru!

7. DJ on January 27, 2020 at 2:50 pm

I refuse to use the self checkouts at the store so I am not one who helps to put people out of a job. I never gave my banking habits a thought as far as banks closing.. Modern technology can be as bad as it good. I’m sure Chase will lose & Huntington has alread lost customers with these merges.

8. LAURA on January 27, 2020 at 2:33 pm

Pretty soon Norton isn’t going to have a bank anymore.

• U-HAUL on January 27, 2020 at 6:43 pm

…..or a downtown. I blame the mayor.