Skip to content

Police investigate apparent suicide in Barberton Jail

Bob Morehead

Herald Staff Writer

Officials from three agencies are investigating what police say appeared to be a late-afternoon suicide at the Barberton City Jail.

Timothy Strausser, 30, of First Street Southeast, was found dead in his cell a little before 5 p.m. June 10. Strausser had been confined to the jail since around 4 p.m. the previous day, arrested on felony drug possession, having been found with methamphetamine, along with a few related misdemeanor counts.

Police say officers and paramedics worked to save Strausser but were unable to revive him. Police declined to say how the death occurred.

The matter is being investigated by the Barberton Police Department, the Bureau of Adult Detention and the Summit County Medical Examiner’s office.

Police were called to a Rubber Street address around 3:20 p.m. June 9 for a trio of people banging on a front door. They arrived to find Strausser and the other two sitting on the porch. Police say that as they approached, the three had trouble sitting still and were looking around; Strausser and one of the others also kept reaching into their trousers.

Officers ran the trio through the database and learned Strausser had a warrant out against him through the Summit County Sheriff’s Office. During a pat-down, they found a meth pipe in his pocket and a baggie of meth on the porch behind where he was sitting. A bindle of a crystalline substance was in his pocket, along with a marijuana joint.

A book bag was on a table near where Strausser was sitting but all three denied ownership. Inside was a .22-caliber handgun; police say it did not appear to be operable. Also in the bag was some paperwork in one of the other’s name; he swore someone must’ve planted it there. Police gave the man back his book bag.

The Summit County Jail did not want Strausser on the warrant due to the pandemic so Barberton Police booked him into the city jail on the felony drug charge. The other two were not welcome at the house they were at so they picked up their stuff and left.

1. Ryan Strausser on June 18, 2021 at 5:14 pm

What happened to my brother is no accident! Even the lawyers we have on the case said something isn’t right. How was there someone in his cell with him but all of a sudden the man that was in his cell gets moved and right after that my brother “hangs himself”. No that’s not right! No matter what the situation is, Barberton neglected my brother while in their custody and it’s not okay. My brother had a beautiful soul and he wasn’t out here doing any harm to anybody. It doesn’t matter what he did in all honesty, what matters is the officers did not watch my brother while in their custody and he ended up dead right after he got into an argument with an officer! It’s not right! I miss my brother so much and it’s not right that he lost his life the way he did! Tj I love you with all my heart and I miss you more than you will ever know! #LONGLIVETJFOREVER….

2. Anonymous on December 27, 2020 at 7:30 pm

This is such a sad story! Shame on them for putting this mans business all over the article this is someone’s son brother maybe dad. Something doesn’t sound right. Shame on the jail!!! Prayers for this family! Justice needs to be served!

3. Anonymous on July 2, 2020 at 5:53 pm

The reason they brought his reason for arrest into it, is likely to take the heat off themselves. It sti isn’t ok!!! I love you big brother! I miss you every day! Until we meet again, Tj!

4. Denise L Elkins on June 20, 2020 at 4:24 pm

I’m sorry for y’all’s lost.. #flyhighbabyboy #tj. My heart goes out to his WHOLE FAMILY..

5. Bob on June 19, 2020 at 9:23 am

You can’t be responsible for stupid I don’t care how you look at it

6. Anonymous on June 19, 2020 at 7:07 am

I know when you are in someone’s custody that they are responsible for your care and safety.

7. Anonymous on June 19, 2020 at 6:29 am

When you are in any jail, they are responsible for your care and safety. You are in their custody.

8. Rebecca A Stump on June 18, 2020 at 11:11 pm

He was NOT the person you guys wanna make him out to be, i KNOW him , the REAL him.. & there’s more to this story.. and i wont let it go unfound. MAY HIS BEAUTIFUL SOUL REST IN PARADISE AND WATCH OVER ME FOREVER, IN MY HEART HE’LL ALWAYS BE ❤❤❤💋💋😭

9. Tim martin on June 18, 2020 at 2:57 pm

I am the young man’s grandfather and we are definitely looking into what supposedly happened. Just so happens, we were told the cameras were not working that particular day. What a coincidence. The young man had some mental issues and it is documented. He should have been on 24 hour watch. There should have been nothing In that cell that could have hurt him. We were told two different stories by two different officers. They said he hung himself from the cell door, but his feet were still touching the floor. There was also another inmate in the jail at the same time, the officers moved that inmate to another cell in another part of the jail. It was said that he had a argument with one of the officers , they moved out the other inmate then and a half hour later they said they found him dead. There were bruises around the front of his neck, but we also found a large bruise going from the center of his spine across his back, that was not caused by hanging. Too many questions to be answered. Barberton dropped the ball so to speak.

10. Anonymous on June 15, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Same thing happened to a good friend of mine and nothing was done about it

11. Anonymous on June 14, 2020 at 2:35 pm

I’m so sorry for you and your family’s loss. May he rest in heaven. Seems to me that the Herald loves and thrives on sensationalism.

12. Jay on June 14, 2020 at 12:44 pm

Make no since they watching u 24/7 every move I would Investigate it and sue hell out barberton more two it something more two it

13. Anonymous on June 13, 2020 at 8:43 pm

So sorry for your loss🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

14. Scott on June 13, 2020 at 10:16 am

I can’t for the life of me figure out how someone can commit suicide while in jail. What could they possibly find to use, and why aren’t they being watched?

Anonymous – How can anyone comprehend what you are trying to say? But, I am sorry you lost your cousin. It’s awful.

15. Anonymous on June 13, 2020 at 2:06 am

When a life is lost why go into all of the details? This is a very disgusting article. You should’ve left it at him being taken in on a warrant, and being found dead in his cell an hour after he was placed there. It’s apparent that the herald no longer cares about their community, you just want a juicy story even if it crosses a moral line. Absolutely disgusting, whoever wrote this, and allowed it to be published should absolutely be ashamed of themselves.

16. Anonymous on June 12, 2020 at 5:58 pm

He didnt seem like a great guy either was methed out lol people die on drugs

17. Anonymous on June 12, 2020 at 10:10 am

Shame on y’all for blaming him an not doing your job. My brother would still be alive if you left him alone. You are at fault he did not kill himself.

18. Richard Heyward on June 11, 2020 at 8:10 pm

So, had he busted someone’s head open and looted a store, he would’ve been free to walk. But a few drugs..

19. Daniel Bennett on June 11, 2020 at 7:01 pm

Please consider including suicide prevention resources while reporting on suicide deaths. Ohio specific guidelines for suicide reporting can be found at https://mha.ohio.gov/Researchers-and-Media/Reporting-on-Suicide. Improper reporting can lead to suicide contagion.

20. Anonymous on June 11, 2020 at 2:52 pm

This is funny….your trying to make it out as if he was such this bad guy going all in about what was wrong with him other than wtf happened to him!!! We are getting
    More information on this and it’s not over!!! You all are sick my cousin was a human being not a monster!