Skip to content

Trenary files petition for recall of Mayor Judge

UPDATE: Kimberly Trenary….“We will be having a petition signing Monday July 13,2020 6:00-7:45 p.m. in the parking lot across from Decker Park on Norton Ave. You will be required to have a mask on. We will be giving people disinfectant wipes to wash off their hand before touching the clip board and pen. After each signature, the pens and clipboards will be wiped off as well before handing it to the next person. This will be videoed to show the proper distancing being done.  Please be respectful of each other when coming. Other location will be announced soon.”

Tayler Thompson
Herald Staff Writer

A Barberton resident and former city council candidate, Kim Trenary, has drawn up a petition in attempt to recall the election of Mayor William Judge.

The loss of Babcock & Wilcox has put a significant strain on the city’s finances and some residents are unhappy with the mayor’s proposals to make up for some of the loss, as the burden often falls on them. Trenary decided to take the matter into her own hands and plans on obtaining 800-1,000 signatures from Barberton citizens who voted in the 2019 general election by mid-August in order to have the recall placed on the Nov. 2020 ballot. If the petition is not filed by late-August, council would then be forced to hold a special election and pay the majority of the costs back to the Board of Elections.

Trenary stated, “I’m tired of people complaining about the mayor. If they really want him out, they can sign the petition or shut up and let him do the job to which he was elected.”

The Herald spoke with several council members who deny knowing about the petition.

For more on this story, including how it works , what it will cost and council, mayor comments, pick up a copy of our July 16 edition of the Herald or subscribe now at www.barbertonherald.com.

1. Bill Bennington on July 31, 2021 at 10:38 am

Oh the mayor needs fired.The city been trying everything they can to get my land including doing business with my step sister who has no right to any of my property or my father’s property.From what I here the city already made a deal with my step sister ILLEGALLY.To aquire my land and home on Grandview.Also gave my 2 million settlement to my sister.WOW.HOW THE HECK DID THAT HAPPEN.Ask the mayor.I WANT MY MONEY AND THEY BETTER STAY AWAY FROM MY LAND THEY ARE STEALING.

2. Margaret on September 3, 2020 at 6:56 pm

Bill Judge is a kick ass Mayor. The roads have gotten better since his election. I love his work to help Barberton businesses impacted by the pandemic. He cut through a lot of red tape to make dining outside feasible that other city’s are still working on. Given the city’s finances it’s really irresponsible to try and recall him, people are doing this because they’d never beat him in a regular election. Really crap politics.

3. Greg Hedges on July 14, 2020 at 1:24 pm

Will Greg Hedges become Mayor if Bill gets recalled?

4. Recall on July 13, 2020 at 1:47 pm

them potholes deeper then lake anner

5. yes agreed on July 12, 2020 at 4:57 pm

Please let people know when and where to sign. The Mayor knew about B & W leaving Barberton for over a year before it happened. Why does he fail to mention that ? Why should the residents be penalized again and again ???

6. yes agreed on July 12, 2020 at 4:50 pm

yes, we need to know when and where to sign. The Mayor knew about B & W leaving Barberton for over a year. Why act ignorant to that? The President of City Council has much knowledge as do the other City Council members.

7. Scott Holmer on July 11, 2020 at 8:00 am

Problem is who is any better to replace him and what are the options to balance the budget?

8. Gary on July 9, 2020 at 12:26 pm

until the mayor and higher upper pledge take a pay cut to help the city thee will not pass anything and we need a part time mayor

9. Adrian G Teribery on July 8, 2020 at 8:57 pm

I would like to sign also

10. Rick Bonenfant on July 8, 2020 at 7:57 pm

I’ll sign it.

11. Jerry on July 8, 2020 at 1:08 pm

So where are you able to sign this petition? Or am I overlooking the information explaining how when and where?