Herzog, A Tribute to Barberton Artist

The Magic City lost a latter-day legend July 13.

Artist Ralph Herzog, described by those who loved him as eccentric but brilliant, died at the age of 61.

Herzog reached the pinnacle of his artistic career with his continuing partnership with Barberton real estate developer Al Horvath. Around the turn of the century, Horvath was buying up distressed buildings around town and rehabilitating them. Part of that rehabilitation invariably included Herzog murals.

“There is one of his paintings in just about every building I’ve put together,” Horvath said. “We kept pretty busy there.”

Read the story of local artist Ralph Herzog from the ones’s that knew him best. Pick up the Herald on newsstands Thursday or visit www.barbertonherald.com to subscribe.

COURTESY PHOTOS/Al Horvath

1. Sherry Fidler on July 30, 2020 at 5:07 pm

I knew him from when my kids were growing up. Naomi – his daughter – went to school with Vanessa. Where is Naomi? Sorry for your loss, Naomi.

2. Pam Wheeler on July 29, 2020 at 4:48 pm

I worked with his daughter, Naomi. He often stopped by the restaurant to talk to her. He seemed to be a nice guy.

3. Cheryl Blair on July 29, 2020 at 1:20 pm

I am sad that I can not attend such an important memorial. I have known Ralph forever and was so sad to hear of his passing. As everyone already knows, that man was a gifted artist and just an all around kind soul. I will miss seeing him around and visiting with him.

4. Jeri Talbott on July 28, 2020 at 8:25 pm

Thank you for those. I’m his cousin , I never saw those paintings. Those are beautiful!

5. Dennis Miller on July 28, 2020 at 1:58 pm

Ralph was a interesting character for sure. Knew a lot of historical facts on various subjects.

6. Cissy's Diner on July 28, 2020 at 1:08 pm

Ralph will be missed .If you had a question on anything , he knew the answer. I talked with him for hours about Naomi his daughter and his cats and Matewan W.Va.