People, pets saved from East Ford fire

Bob Morehead

Herald Staff Writer

A pair of East Ford Avenue residents were awakened the night of July 24 to smoke and heat, evacuating and calling 911.

Firefighters responded within two minutes and found smoke coming from a second-story window. Firefighters say they encountered heavy heat and smoke on entering the first foor, finding a stove on fire in the kitchen. They extinguished the fire and rescued two dogs, a cat and a pair of caged birds.

Firefighters determined the cause to be an accidental cooking fire. No one was injured and the Summit County Red Cross helped one of the residents find a place to stay.

Firefighters stress that the residents did well in evacuating before calling 911 and not trying to rescue the pets themselves, pointing out all the animals were saved.

The fire department does caution to make sure stoves are properly turned off before leaving them unattended.

Leave a Comment