Skip to content

Ramblings by Robert

All rights come with responsibilities

Story time:

A 45-year-old woman in Florida who suffers chronic anemia needed a blood transfusion a couple weeks ago spent 36 hours in an emergency room treatment cubicle. She was eventually transported to another hospital where a room finally opened up.

It turns out she needs surgery to correct the problem they’ve isolated as the cause of her chronic anemia. That, unfortunately, is quite some way out.

The problem? Hospitals in Florida are overrun with COVID-19 as the highly contagious Delta variant rages like a California wildfire through the unvaccinated population, aided and abetted by a governor who has issued executive orders prohibiting virtually every preventative measure known, from mask mandates to vaccine proof.

Things are better right now in Ohio. While our governor has pursued a more reasonable course, there are plenty of legislators who share both views and temperament with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis.

Gov. Mike DeWine spoke a bit ago about “two Ohios,” one where vaccinated people are very well protected and one where unvaccinated are getting sick in increasing numbers. At the time the governor spoke, some 98% of COVID patients in the hospitals were unvaccinated.

Vaccine-resistant cynics point to people getting sick anyway, even if vaccinated. “Why bother?” The numbers are a little obvious. Read it again 98% unvaccinated. That leaves a mere 2%. There has never been a vaccine for anything that was 100% effective but the vaccines created for COVID are among the most effective ever created.

Earlier I described the plague like a wildfire. Keeping with that analogy, one way to fight a wildfire is to cut away everything that can burn within a certain vicinity of the fire. Eventually, fuel exhausted and no more handy, it burns out and dies. Same with a disease outbreak. Put enough immune people in the way, the disease fire has no more “fuel” handy and will fizzle out. That’s called “herd immunity” and the safest, most reasonable way to reach it is with vaccination.

It’s kind of a civic duty.

Now, remember that Florida woman? That’s my niece. This has gotten personal. COVID? I’ve known, personally, several people who’ve had it and recovered, one long hauler, and several more who’ve died. It’s real. And, frankly, I pine for the days when “conservatism” preached good citizenship and Christianity demanded we put others first.

Bob Morehead
Herald Staff Writer

1 Comment

  1. Ron Phillips on August 23, 2021 at 5:03 am

    Thank you, Bob. I am praying for your niece. “The race is not always to the swift, nor perfect safety to the vaccinated, but that’s the way to bet.” (Not quite Damon Runyon)



Leave a Comment