Skip to content

Don’t let the bed bugs bite!

Bob Morehead

Herald Staff Writer

Barberton High School will be remote-only Sept. 1 and 2 while an exterminator inspects for bed bugs.

Principal Henry Muren sent a district all-call around 2:15 p.m. Aug. 21 saying his office had fielded multiple calls from parents concerned about the pests.

“Out of an abundance of caution, we have contacted an exterminator do do another inspection of the school,” Muren said.

He said since it is happening while school is in session, it will require the kids going remote a couple days.

“We know how to do remote learning,” Muren said. “Let’s do this.”

“Last week we opened up a cupboard and found some bed bugs,” Superintendent Jeffrey Ramnytz told The Herald. “We called in Stewart’s (Pest Control) and they treated that cupboard and got rid of them. This wasn’t even an area where students go.”

Ramnytz said word got out, though, and parents started calling in concerned so the district decided to do a full inspection and treatment.

Bed bugs are not known to cause any diseases but are hard to get rid of, produce itchy, uncomfortable bites and, in high enough infestations, have been known to cause anemia.

Image courtesy Cuyahoga County Board of Health

1. Marg Moxley on September 2, 2021 at 4:17 pm

First purchase some peppermint oil sold online for this purpose. Forget your insecticides and hardware store stuff you will pay a fortune and it will make you sick and they don’t work well.
    The peppermint kills on contact and provides a barrier
    !!! Suck up any bugs and eggs you can with a sealed vac. Now get busy bagging all of your stuff in the affected room after you spray it with peppermint oil. Take it to the laundry area this way. NOW….
    You cook everything with the proper heat source !! You clean and wash All surfaces. Wash all fabric or steam it. Iron it, If it is iron tolerant. You clean vents and blinds and the backs of all furniture using vacuum and soapy rags not paper towels. Pictures and keepsakes also need to be checked and cleaned. CHECK YOUR WOODEN FURNITURE ESPECIALLY IN ALL CRACKS AND BED FRAMES.
    USE THE SPRAY ON EVERYTHING EXCEPT ELECTRONICS.
    Repeat spray every week and change bedding and steam mattress each and every week.

2. Julie pritchard on September 1, 2021 at 11:00 pm

It’s time to start issuing out swift spanking to the stinky bed bugs!! Spank them against the wall and then send them home in pink high heels and red Tong panties!!!

3. Carol Berry on September 1, 2021 at 10:07 pm

I purchased furniture from a name brand store. Brand new furniture delivered during Covid. We put bed together and we found bed bugs in the wood.

Really check out anything you bring into house.

Carolyn

4. Rod on September 1, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Been battling these little vampires for a couple of months now. I have found that there are many ways to stay ahead of them. I have a minimum amount of cloth furniture (bed, sheets and clothing, three chairs with cloth seats). That’s about it. Most insecticides are two part. A spray and a powder. I sprayed a then put the powder down everywhere the little guys can hide including sweeping it into the cracks in the floor. Leave the powder, don’t sweep it up until you are to re-apply. I haul my bedding and clothes to the laundry mat at least every 2 weeks. Not to nessecarily wash but high heat in the large dryer. Please read and follow directions and don’t forget dresser drawers. Vigilance!

5. Not wanting to know who. on September 1, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Had bed bugs they are under control right now but had to fight at different fronts. First, heat huh? The hotter it is you bring out your body smell much more. Bed bugs love heat for it is easier to smell you and woalah! you lost your right to sleep. Finally found “say good bye to bed bugs” Yes, it works but for large infestations it becomes way too expensive. What then? Well when you purchase the product it comes with very good tips which I applied using Raid bed bug killer. Raid is half the cost than “say good by to bed bugs”. Yes I still got som bottles from but for use on my bed and furniture since skin is sensitive, although Raid is safe I rather be safer. Pay special attention if you got wood floors and live in an old hous where heat runs thru wall vents. I covered ours with laundry sheets and thick tape and sprayed. Separated the beds from the wall and kept spraying for a month around the beds underneath and the floor area. After that I started every other week. And then more sporadically till now if I see anything I pay attention where it was do a recollection of where I walked because you yourself are a carrier with the shoes. I use a walker so I sly the tennis balls I use on it and once in a while I spray them as well and the bottom of my shoes I use during the day as well as the broom or swiffer. It takes a while to star trusting again but they go away. Now I will spray as soon as the heater starts to blow the heat air for these bugs get blown away and will try to enter thru the vents again. The little larvae are the worst for they are almost colorless and only can be visible on white sheets when they turn red due to blood. Another tool I used was lint rolls. Every evening before going to bed I used it over the bed sheets, pillows, my sleep clothing and in the morning the clothes for the day. It sounds like a little work but it paid off since it helped me sleep at night. I hope some of my tips may help you to get back you so deserved sleep. Don’t give up.

6. Dakota on September 1, 2021 at 6:29 pm

If you end up finding them in your home here’s a few tips.

DO NOT BUGBOMB. This will make them run into the walls and they will be way harder to kill. Absolute worst way to deal with them.

If you want to be sure you don’t have them, hire an inspector that can has a trained K9 to sniff them out. Easy way of finding any.

If you cannot afford an inspector at all, buy Cimexa off of amazon. It’s $15 a bottle and lasts a long time. I’ve dealt with bed bugs 3 different times and this stuff works so well and it’s kid/pet friendly. It just dries their exoskeleton out.

7. Sharon on September 1, 2021 at 5:14 pm

I just found them in my bedroom have only seen three but they are pesky I’ve tried alcohol I have tried bleach and it seems that both work now that Winter’s coming I’ve got a little heater and I hope that helps finish them out

8. Daisy Lopez on September 1, 2021 at 4:32 pm

What do you call a tiny bug but I got bites all over my body from head to toe.???? My husband don’t get bit like me. He wants to know why? They leave me with red tiny bites. Like so small but you can feel them on my arms. My husband felt my arms.They look like tiny mites. But the BITE is huge!

9. Unknown on September 1, 2021 at 4:10 pm

The bed bugs was harrible. I use some thing as simple as sac.an span cleaning products kills them.dead one small pop.an their dead work s like a.dream

10. Unknown on September 1, 2021 at 4:10 pm

11. Susan Kinney on September 1, 2021 at 2:36 pm

I’ve been fighting bedbugs for a year now and nothing I’m doing is working. What else can I do

12. Arizona on September 1, 2021 at 2:33 pm

I have found that clean spray bottle Lysol one cup of water& rubby alcohol spray around your home no need to remove anything from your home. Spray door frames, safe to use around elderly, pets& humans!

13. PJ GART on September 1, 2021 at 1:51 pm

I was 3 months into my new lease apartment . I found Bedbugs!! Holy Mess. I called the city of Harford , CT. They replied quickly. The hardest part was the prep. After the 2nd extermination the exterminator told the landlord that they were gone. They were not. Luckily with help from the city the landlord was made to exterminate 1 more time. Happy to tell the story That 3 times was the charm!! 9 months later so far so 👍

14. Bill Daniel on September 1, 2021 at 1:25 pm

The best thing I found to use something called Cimexa. It’s a pesticide dust order from walmart.com $17 kills bed bugs within minutes. It dries them out. Use with caution wear gloves and a face mask because it will dry you out too. But is very effective I swear by it

15. Anonymous on September 1, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Sorry, Harsh chemicals ARE NOT needed

16. Luna on September 1, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Use Diatamaceous earth to smother them… Nice harsh chemicals are needed… And wrap beds in mattress covers. Alcohol kills them quick.

17. Larry FINCHER on September 1, 2021 at 10:05 am

Bed bugs are like garbage….nobody wants em

18. Vickie Freeman on September 1, 2021 at 7:41 am

Does regularer electric heater work

19. A mom on September 1, 2021 at 6:51 am

The fact that they saw even one and did not treat the whole school floors me. These may not cause disease but they are hard to get rid of and can be so costly in time and money. My kids get huge reactions to any kind of bite..so please don’t tell me they are not a big deal!

It shouldn’t have taken the barage of phone calls to get something done

20. Anonymous on September 1, 2021 at 5:55 am

Bed bugs breath thru their pores so, if you want them to stay off of you while sleeping , dust your bed with talcolm powder, gold bond baking soda, whatever you have, it works! To keep your children from being bitten, setup a tent in their room that zips up solid! Also found out they don’t drink water and can’t swim ! My pillows are white and sheets, I spray them everyday with bleach and water and I have not seen one! I f you capture one give it the test,, bleach and water kills them instantly!

21. Reap Paden on September 1, 2021 at 4:34 am

I think it likely mick maag planted those bed bugs just to get the school district to rent his 300sq ft bedbug heater a thousand times. Stupid genius that he is ..

22. RANDO on August 31, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Interesting
    Somebody sleeping in the school besides the students?