Skip to content

Police investigate gunfight at Tuscora Park

Bob Morehead

Herald Staff Writer

Gunfire erupted a little after 7 p.m. Sept. 28 in Tuscora Park on Barberton’s East Side, with two groups of people firing multiple shots at each other.

Police said around 8 p.m. there were no reports of any injuries. Two people were arrested with more arrests expected. One firearm was recovered around the intersection of Seventh Street Northeast and East Robinson Avenue. A car was detained and searched just west of that intersection.

No further details were available as of this writing and the incident remains under investigation. Check back with The Herald periodically.

HERALD PHOTO/Bob Morehead
An officer searches a car detained near where a gun was found after two groups of people shot at each other Sept. 28 in Tuscora Park.

1. Trump2024 on October 5, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Keep HOODRATS outta Barberton this is not kenmore killmore TRUMP2024!

2. Typical on September 30, 2021 at 3:13 pm

Another quality bum thug from Kenmore. Dont worry about us Barberton people punk. Stay out you Cherry Blossom ruined idiot.

3. Joshua haught on September 30, 2021 at 3:43 am

I got banned for five years from Barberton food mart for taking a honey bun an charged 400 dollars!i got a visit to make at probation tomorrow I’ll tell them all the love they got

4. Oh yeah on September 29, 2021 at 5:35 pm

The realist wrote: “It is not easier to get a gun than a license smh .” In what world do you live in? There is no licensing fee no test to take no renewal for license no insurance to carry firearms…nothing! I own two firearms and it took me less than an hour for a background check but I also had a secret clearance because I was a military police officer in the navy. I know a British guy that moved here and all he had to do was wait a week for a background check. I don’t disagree with you that their parents are to blame but what is that going to do? Nada 👎 I also agree that it won’t be an easy fix but I believe there are steps and legislation that can be introduced that do not require taking guns from law abiding citizens such as making it illegal to purchase ammunition for guns that are not registered to you.

5. Oh yeah on September 29, 2021 at 5:05 pm

I apologize for the miscommunication and making you assume that I assume that they acquired them legally 🤦‍♀️

6. The realist on September 29, 2021 at 4:16 pm

You people crack me up lol . This has nothing to do with politicians or even the city of barberton. Gun control is only defense control the people that do this type of nonsense are not obtaining guns legally. It is not easier to get a gun than a license smh . This is about people making stupid decisions. The real culprit is most likely how they were raised and the environment they were raised in. I blame the parents or probably parent I would assume no dad was around . These young people now days think bein street or carrying a gun makes them tough. If they were tough a fight would involve fists not guns . There isn’t any quick fix to this behavior it can happen anywhere . I carry everywhere I go to defend my family ,myself and u liberals that hate gun rights against punks like these . The fix starts with upbrings so parents get ur shit together .

7. WakeUp on September 29, 2021 at 3:27 pm

The City Council are the ones who can start with striker gun legislation! No we can’t stop anyone from coming to our city.

8. DresdenSinn on September 29, 2021 at 2:49 pm

Oh yeah wrote: “Honestly people are not going to like this but there really needs to be some sensible firearm legislation. It’s harder to earn the privilege to drive than to have the privilege of owning a firearm!”

You think these thugs/punks obtained these guns legally?! LMFAO!!

9. BLM on September 29, 2021 at 1:48 pm

POS SCUM AKRON THUGS. STAY OUT OF BARBERTON

10. Oh yeah on September 29, 2021 at 1:20 pm

How do you prevent people from coming into the city? Hilarious that politicians are to blame for keeping a certain element out of Barberton. Honestly people are not going to like this but there really needs to be some sensible firearm legislation. It’s harder to earn the privilege to drive than to have the privilege of owning a firearm! Ridiculous! Thank you to the Barberton PD for protecting the city.

11. WakeUp on September 29, 2021 at 12:11 pm

The people who THINK their doing a good job running Barberton need to quit. We need good, honest, and Mature people sitting at your desks.
    You all need to be on the FRONT Line. Out in our community, To protect our Magic City that we love so much. Outsiders have always been her since before the 80’s. Taking down hoops is only encouraging this violence, letting them know it’s ok to come here ,and taking away from those who want to play in the park.
    The thinking that Barberton is going to the dogs,,, is in the eye of the beholder. If you are still here,,, stand up to the politician’s, they have children here to! Who are just as afraid!

12. Huh? on September 29, 2021 at 11:29 am

What does voting have to do with the issue of gun violence?

13. No More Democrats on September 29, 2021 at 10:36 am

Keep voting Democrat and NOTHING will change.

14. Anonymous on September 29, 2021 at 10:00 am

Yes I don’t plan on being here in barberton much longer

15. Dl Sheeler on September 29, 2021 at 8:25 am

Barberton unfortunately is going to the dogs. Broken down rental properties all over town that breeds this type of crime and chaos. Politicians who the citizens pay need to wake up. Dress up, Make up, go up, as the old saying goes

16. I don't like this. on September 29, 2021 at 8:09 am

I don’t appreciate this happening in the park where I take my son and dog.

17. Hoopla on September 29, 2021 at 6:39 am

Take the hoops down. All that plays there is CrAkron thugs with guns. Stay in Kenmore

18. Nostradamus on September 29, 2021 at 5:36 am

Just a matter of time til the scum of akron seeps into barberton, where shootouts are a weekly thing. “Get Out” like Jordan Peele