Skip to content

Tragedy after pedestrian hit by car

Bob Morehead

Herald Staff Writer

One person is dead after being struck by a car while walking near the intersection of Robinson and Van Buren avenues.

An investigation has been launched and the Barberton Police Department is teaming with the Summit Metro Crash Unit; the Robinson Avenue Bridge was closed for a time while crews worked the scene. They are releasing no details nor any information on the victim other than the death.

A Facebook poster claiming to have witnessed the accident, which happened around 6:45 p.m. Nov. 8, said the victim was elderly, although she could not determine sex, and pushing a shopping cart full of groceries.

1. Grace on November 22, 2022 at 5:15 pm

I am still in shock. I do miss the little lady every time I pass that intersection. I have been avoiding the area. She was a part of Barberton’s history and a grandmother to all. My mother and grandmother wore a babushka like hers! Still praying for her family ! 🙏🏼🌹💜

2. Anonymous on November 13, 2022 at 9:07 am

You’re right this shouldn’t have happened that way nobody does 25 over the bridge. There’s a lot of stupid people out here and I think they’re multiplying. I guess common sense isn’t so common anymore. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

3. Heart hurting over this tragedy on November 11, 2022 at 8:04 pm

Jean was a sweet lady, everytime my little girl would see her she would say “OMG she is so cute, we need to take her home!” One day this past summer, she was sitting waiting for the bus across from where this happened and I turned around and asked if I could drop her off somewhere…giant eagle…I told her I would be back in an hour to pick her up and hurried home to pick up my daughter lol she was sooo excited to finally meet her. ❤️ Jean loved how adorable and polite my Andi is and thanked us for taking her home. She said her son was out of town and usually he will take her unless it was nice, she would get out for the exercise. Such a tragic ending for a beautiful woman. RIP “cute little ole lady with the cart” as dubbed by my girl!! We will miss seeing you a few times each week. My condolences to her son, family and friends 🙏

4. Kim on November 11, 2022 at 12:51 pm

I saw her all the time with her shopping cart. Everytime I saw her, my heart smiled. She reminded me of my Grandma.

5. Anonymous on November 10, 2022 at 2:29 pm

Praying for the family

6. NOT THIS WAY! on November 10, 2022 at 8:53 am

This was a 84 year old lady, My Mother was a strong willed person, it did not have to Happen this way, she great love for this town and the people her known her,, she was the Little Old Lady With A Cart, she didn’t mind, it made her laugh, it did not have to happen this way, Dude, what was you thinking?, you can’t say you not seen her, it was a well lit area, she was wearing a white cardigan, I pray for you, she DID NOT deserve to go this way!, (Steel Heart) Momma don’t you cry! you in the creators arms, I will be ok!

7. Patricia A. Stuck Bursac on November 10, 2022 at 4:45 am

Thank you for changing the title.

8. The King of Barberton on November 10, 2022 at 3:38 am

This is tragic, but people need to be careful around cars. It’s horrible to see someone hit by a car, I know. You need to keep your head on a swivel, constantly checking over your shoulder, at every car that may come near you. Cars do need to slow down, as well. If you see someone walking, slow down. It would be nice if the bus wasn’t so dangerous to ride, more people could use the transportation.

9. Friend of the family on November 10, 2022 at 1:47 am

I loved this woman she always makes me laugh and feel good after I talk to her she is up in heaven and God is hugging on her I will miss her very much

10. Freind on November 9, 2022 at 11:58 pm

What a sweet sweet lady. She always had a kind word. She had such a beautiful spirit. She was a angel from heaven. I know her kids and they to are such nice people. All I can say is thank you Lord for giving us the time we had with her. The Lord has taken one of his angles home. She will be missed by many. We use to always joke about turkey’s at this time of year. She would not want any one to be sad. She had a great life.

11. Bridget on November 9, 2022 at 8:14 pm

Thank you for changing the title. It truly is a tragedy.

12. Patricia Stuck-Bursac on November 9, 2022 at 7:19 pm

What a lovely lady was this woman. She came to our craft classes. She hummed & was the happiest lady. God bless her soul. I hope I can be as active as she was. She was a good example for others.

13. DM on November 9, 2022 at 6:09 pm

This is my now 19 year Olds grandmother she last seen or spoke to her three years ago her father and I split up in 2010 so she did not see much of her anymore but it is sad that people can’t slow down for people who walk so I’m sending prayers to all of the family and I’m so very sorry this happened.

14. friend on November 9, 2022 at 5:48 pm

i will miss her she was the sweetest lady. People need to watch out for others. come on Barberton get your crap together get these roads and sidewalks fixed so this wont happen again my lord

15. Conniecarpenter on November 9, 2022 at 5:32 pm

She was a kind and sweet lady theses drivers need to slow down and watch out for people crossing the street

16. Barberton Resident on November 9, 2022 at 5:25 pm

First off, this title is insensitive to not only the victim, but her family as well. When working in the publishing industry, you should have a little more sympathy when writing articles like this one. Second, my heart goes out to the family. I did not know her well but she was a frequent customer at the business I work for. She was always so sweet and it always made my day to see her walk into my store. May she rest in peace and may her family find comfort in knowing that she was beloved my many.

17. Joan metheney on November 9, 2022 at 4:41 pm

Awe, I ride the metro bus and I would see her from time to time. She seemed so sweet Bless her lil soul. Prayers for the family ❤️

18. Grace on November 9, 2022 at 4:22 pm

A true tragedy. Blessings and Prayers to all family and friends. Oh My God !

19. Sad Citizen on November 9, 2022 at 1:17 pm

Ugh. The headlines, really? It’s done with train vs whatever, too, and it could be done better. It’s like saying man vs cancer, 🤔😡 or child vs water or woman vs fire. Sad situation, title, family feelings.

20. Sara on November 9, 2022 at 8:37 am

Predestrian struck by car while crossing street in crosswalk. There I fixed it for you Barberton Herald. This sweet wonderful woman was Aunt to my 3 children. Sensitivety training much need for your staff.

21. KAREN on November 9, 2022 at 8:26 am

My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire family. They are wonderful people and my heart hurts that they are going through this tragedy. I Love You All!

22. Sheryl on November 9, 2022 at 6:59 am

This is very ignorant this was my aunt and if this idiot would paid more attention while driving this wouldn’t of happened she walked all over she never drove in her life and this is awful for any one to say other wise there aree are so many ignorant people in this world she was the sweetest aunt a girl could have I pray that who ever hit her things about for the rest of there lives because that took her from us for the remainder of her beautiful life 😭

23. Anonymous on November 9, 2022 at 6:29 am

Your headline is very insensitive to the family of the victim. Close family members, already traumatized by this tragedy, have expressed feeling further pain because of it. Do better. Have more respect. Fix it.

24. Evan on November 9, 2022 at 5:47 am

Your name is fitting for your comment. This was a tragic accident but your assumption that American idiots will run you down because of lawlessness and Barberton Speedway is ridiculous. My heart goes out to the family. I live in the neighborhood and saw the victim walking with their cart all the time.

25. Clown World on November 9, 2022 at 4:44 am

Seen an old lady crossing the intersection by giant eagle yesterday. She had to run because not a single vehicle was slowing for her. THEY(AMERICAN IDIOTS) will run you down! Lawlessness starts with the traffic. Barberton Speedway has expanded to the entire town. It seems no one gives a shit…..